World Series By Renault 2014

RasputinLives

No passing through my dirty air please
Contributor
So the Renault 3.5 world series by Renault is set to start next weekend in Monza and whilst some would say the vast amount of talent has switched to GP2 this year there is no question that this years World Series line up looks as if it will bring us exciting racing.

For those of you who are uninitiated in the world series it is an alternative to GP2 as a feeder series to F1 and is sometimes favoured by the F1 teams as a feeder series due to its more similar technology. Last years champion was Kevin Magnusen and previous graduates from the series have been Sebastian Vettel, Jules Bianchi, Jean Eric Vergne and Danial Ricciardo. The series runs for 9 rounds with 2 races at each round, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. There is no reverse grids here as they have a Saturday and Sunday quali. Most of the races are in Europe including races at Nurberg, Hungaroring, Spa and of course Monaco which is the only one on the same weekend as the F1.

This years field certainly looks interesting and as the series has traditionally been a Red Bull stomping ground its no surprise that the favourite going into the series is Red Bull junior driver Carlos Sainz Jr who has jumped into the seat vacated by Kmag at DAMS. Sainz Jr will surely be focusing on impressing in this series whilst keeping a hopeful eye on Jean Eric Vergnes progress in the Toro Rosso F1 team hoping his time there will expire so he can jump into that seat too.

Sainz will have to keep his head in the game though as he is not the only young Red Bull driver in the series. Pierre Gasly who won the Renault Eurocup last year has been given his chance at Christian Horner's Arden team and word is he is very very quuck and will certainly be one to look out for.

Also of interest to the F1 viewer will be the progress of the notorious Sergy Sirotkin who is in his second year in the series this time driving for Fortec. Due to his backing by the Russians behind Sauber and there attempts to elevate him too soon Sirotkin has got a rep as a pay driver however he is very quick and has continued to be so in testing. I expect him to challenge for wins this year and he might surprise a few people.

Someone else to watch out for is Enstone young driver Marco Sorrensen for Tech-1 who comes very highly rated and may have pushed Magnusen and Vandorne last year if he hadn't had an underpowered car for two thirds of the season.

There are three quick Brits in Will Stevens at Stuka (Caterham youth driver), Will Buller at Arden and Oliver Rowland at Fortec who could all figure. Norman Nato at DAMS has been on the pace in every series he's ever been in and Italian rookie Luca Ghiotto is driving for Draco this year and he mixed up with Gasly in the Eurocup last year you have to predict he could again this year. One of my faves from last years GP3 Tio Elinas joins the series and should be quick but the fastest in testing was a Brazilian name Pietro Fantin for Draco racing whose career, I have to admitt, has passed me by until now.

For those of you who have not watched the World Series before it is always exciting to watch (the championship in 2 of the last 3 seasons has gone down to a direct scrap in the last race of the season) and worth a look if you have the time. I have it series linked on TVO and just catch up when I can.

British viewers can see the races live on Eurosport or catch up with the handy tuesday night review programme. The season starts on April 12th at Monza.

Last edited:
Check this 1st lap crash out in the first race of the world series.

Scary! Sorensan walked away from it though.

Brilliant dominant win from Will Stevens in race one. Stevens is a Caterham acadmy driver and from what the commentary said was considered a god in karting. He mixed it up with KMag and co in his rookie year last year as well. Def one to watch.

Sainz Jr who was in pole didn't even get away for the parade lap! Gutted.

That is a good question and not one I have the answer too but all races are 45 mins +1 lap. The clock doesn't stop with safety cars either.

As its part of the Renault World Series, which consists of lots of different single seater catogries all run on the same day, I would suggest its done as a time constraint so that they can fit all the events into one day.

The pole time in the World Series at Hungary for 2013 was KMag and was a 1:29.3 and the pole for the GP2 race there was 1:28.4 by Tom Dillman.

They were at different times of the year though and GP2 have a softer compound of tyres because they have the F1 style two different compounds. World series have a limited amount of DRS to use during the race but din't think they have it for quali.

I'd say they were about even.

With Hamiton's Hungarian pole time at 1:19.4 they are quite a way behind then.

Hungary might be a bad example though. Both GP2 and World Series are far less about the aero than F1 and I imagine the aero factor at a twisty circuit like Hungary comes in to play far more.

(Not a techy so someone shoot me down if I'm wrong).

So I've caught up with race 2 that Sainz Jr completely dominated. He was by far the quickest all weekend but, as seems to be the story of his career, he didn't fully capitalise with a non-finish in race 1. Will Stevens did the reverse and that leaves both in a 3 way tie at the top of the championship with rookie Piere Gasly who managed a 3rd and a 5th and looked very impressive on his debut.

Just 4 points behind them is the notorious Sergy Sirotkin who pulled off a pretty stunning overtake round the outside of the lesmos in race 1 that I really wanted to post here but couldn't find clips of anywhere!

Sainz Jr killed it again in race 1 in Spain this weekend. 3 poles and 2 wins out of 3 races so far this season.

There is already talk of JEV being dropped mid-season for him to be drafted in.

No live action from World Series at Monaco on Eurosport this weekend just a half hour highlights package on Sunday night! Big thumbs down from me.

Anyone know if Eurosport have took that decision or if its because its FOM footage this weekend?

Most likely teabagyokel. Race was a bit dull anyway from the highlights with Norman Nato of all people taking the win.

Championship looks to be between Sainz Jr and Oli Rowland - although Gasly might have something to say about that.

It seems like its gonna be a good year for the Brits in the junior formula right now.

So both Sainz JR and Mehri could leave the championship for F1 with immediate effect and Gasly has left to go and do GP2. Thats 3 of the top 4 in the championship.

Leaves the door open for Oli Rowland really.

There are no clashes in the calendar, although travelling may tire drivers, mainly Merhi and Sainz Jr if they get F1 drive. Sorensen has done GP2 and WSbR races for past two months.

Driving F1 and WSbR would mean following calendar for six weeks:
Hungaroring (WSbR)
Singapore (F1)
Paul Ricard (WSbR)
Suzuka (F1)
Sochi (F1)
Jerez (WSbR)

Of the recent WSbR who jumped into F1 mid-season, Vettel left WSbR (he was leading the championship), Alguersuari and Ricciardo did not. Danny R missed final race of WSbR season though as there was a clash between Japanese GP and WSbR race in Catalunya.

Just watch the non-stop (sprint?) race at Hungaroring. Very exciting, action all the way to the last corner.
Egor Orduzhev, a 19 year old Russian won with Oliver Rowland pushed down to second at the final corner by Roberto Merhi

Back
Top Bottom