Williams intend to use KERS in 2010

Good news.

I for one am glad that Williams have gone against the agreement reached within FOTA as it now leaves McLaren and Ferrari free to continue using KERS next season.

The whole KERS issue has been one huge mess.

Teams spent millions developing it at the expense of performance (so it would seem in the case of Ferrri and McLaren).
The FIA put silly restrictions on it meaning it's not performing as well as it can.
The FIA relaxes the rules for 2010 making it easier to run KERS.
FOTA agree to drop KERS.

Perhaps this will now force the other teams to develop their own systems.

I've often had a belief and even more so now that teams are starting to zip off the line and gain places using it, that the "no KERS for 2010" issue was more down to a two fingured salute in Max Mosleys direction than any real reason.

It was helped that during the first half of the season KERS never really proved to be that effective. Weather it was down to the design of the system or the fact that the Brawns were so far ahead that having KERS made no difference I'm not sure. Looking at it another way, the only way Ferrari avoided a few blushes by being trounced by a Force India was the fact that their cars were carrying KERS. With a part that carrys that much influence now would any one be silly enough to drop it.

I bet Williams are just forcing a few hands here and that secretly most FOTA teams will be pleased that they get a chance to use their KERS buttons next season. With 6 more cars to pass next year that may be as slow as a house brick on a roller skate I think the front runners will need KERS more than ever.

I doubt there is much FOTA unity about this issue. Results have changed since the FOTA agreement, and hence so will attitudes.

HUN: L. Hamilton Q4 R1, H. Kovalainen Q6 R5,  K. Raikkonen Q7 R2
EUR: L. Hamilton Q1 R2, H. Kovalainen Q2 R4, K. Raikkonen Q6 R3
BEL: L. Hamilton Q12, H. Kovalainen Q15 R6, K. Raikkonen Q6 R1
ITA: L. Hamilton Q1, H. Kovalainen Q4 R6, K. Raikkonen Q3 R3

Since these three drivers have all been much better than in the early part of the season in the last 4 races KERS has been given the credit it deserves and Eddie Jordan has shut the hell up about it! LOL

So where Ferrari were happy about getting rid of KERS 4/5 races ago and concentrating on getting the rest up to scratch, they'll be less so now. McLaren will be preying that KERS is not banned because their KERS is the best in the field and the most redeeming feature of their package.

So Williams have towed the party line about di Monte's "we've got three drivers and two cars" problem, probably in exchange for a free rein on KERS, so McLaren and Ferrari are not seen to be breaking their agreement, they'll just have to break it to compete with Williams!

While I am glad KERS could be staying (it adds a little unpredictability to the race; without refuelling next year this will be something F1 will be sadly devoid of) I must say that Williams are on a run of what on the surface appear to be odd decisions.

I remember reading a few weeks ago that they had vetoed a FOTA plan for braking. FOTA wanted to make break disks slightly thicker for 2010 due to the heavier cars but Williams refused. With this run of odd and seemingly counter-intuitive decisions, their 2010 car better be something bloody special because they are going to be unpopular, they may as well do it while being fast.

You make a good point BlackCountry, Williams are currently without an engine deal so you would have thought that they need to get that sorted before they start worrying about fitting Kers to it.

cider_and_toast said:
Williams are currently without an engine deal

I believe their contract with Toyota runs for another year, but both sides are happy for the contract to be broken early.

I somehow think they may have sorted their engines and just not annonced anything yet (Cosworth or Macca?), if it was McLaren, I could understand some of these decisions..

Good point Fat_Jez, I'd forgotten that.

Rick, It won't be Merc as they have announced (can't remember where so no link, sorry) that they won't be supplying any additional teams next year.

You would have to assume that the engine choices are slim. If Mercedes say no, Renault pull out and they don't want Toyota then they either have to get Ferrari (would Ferrari supply them?) or use the unproven Cosworth.

I just worry about the safety of a flywheel KERS, can they really guarantee that under no circumstances in a crash the 64000rpm flywheel cannot come free from the car and go bouncing down the track?

BlackCountryBob said:
I just worry about the safety of a flywheel KERS, can they really guarantee that under no circumstances in a crash the 64000rpm flywheel cannot come free from the car and go bouncing down the track?

You also have the gyro effect which could have an impact on the handling of their car. That mass spinning at high rpm is going to want to keep moving in a straight line and not turn with the rest of the vehicle - could make for some interesting handling characteristics!

fat_jez said:
You also have the gyro effect which could have an impact on the handling of their car. That mass spinning at high rpm is going to want to keep moving in a straight line and not turn with the rest of the vehicle - could make for some interesting handling characteristics!

Well, apparently the battery KERS affects characteristics according to the BBC commentators everytime Giancarlo Fisichella appeared on screen at Monza!

Williams have finally fallen into line with the rest of FOTA and agreed not to use KERS.
So there will be no KERS in 2010.

A real shame for McLaren and Ferrari who managed (at cost) to get it working well.

Reading one of the pages on the Flybrid website I'm a bit confused. It states "The flywheel is connected to the transmission of the car on the output side of the gearbox via several fixed ratios, a clutch and the CVT".

I though the point of KERS was to recover energy during braking which would be "otherwise wasted". If this is attached directly to the transmission surely it is being charged by the engine and therefore is not recovering energy simply storing energy from the engine in another place?

I guess that's where the clutch comes in. Brakes on, Clutch in. Brakes off, Clutch disengauges. Would seem a bit of an over complex way of doing things if you ask me.

Yeah, KERS and Jenson Button, Fantastic for half a season and then never to be seen leading the field again.

LOL

Oh I'm sorry I couldn't resist it.

I'll give myself a good modding

Back
Top Bottom