Will Stevens

sushifiesta

Champion Elect
Contributor
If I counted correctly he has 5 wins from 135 races in feeder series over the past 7 years. Max Chilton only had 3 wins from 125 races before F1 so this Will Stevens guy must be a future champion...

For reference Lewis Hamilton had 37 wins from 109 races before F1.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
More seriously, anyone know who is backing this bloke as I presume he's not got his seat just based on his "blistering speed"? His website is currently under construction so no clues there.

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Premium Contributor
A quote from the BBC in their coverage of testing.

"Marussia, who have clawed their way back from the brink of oblivion, have named Britain's Will Stevens as one of their drivers. However, the governing FIA said that was subject to him holding a super licence."

I find that rather intriguing.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
How can he not have a super licence now when he had one to race at Abu Dhabi? Not to mention the fact he won 2 races in 3.5 last year which even means he qualifies on the new regs. I think thats just crap reporting by the so-called BBC.

As for his backers - I really don't have a scooby but they were apparently prepared to pay a six figure sum to get him a Friday session in a Caterham last year so they must be loaded!

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
I thought anyone who had taken part in a Grand Prix within a certain time period had one automatically.

If thats not true then how come Maldonado and Sutil still had theres?

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
I believe the drivers have to buy a new super licence every year and that they cost more the higher up he finishes in the championship...

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Think we need to add a 'current' tag to Will Stevens now.

Having looked at his times for P1 and P2, I think the guy deserves some credit for his work so far. In only his second F1 session he's managed (by my calculations) to get the car within 107 percent of the Mercedes in both sessions which should add weight to any appeal if they have trouble in qualification later and also, trimmed around a second off his best lap between P1 and P2.

All in all, given what a roughly designed, underpowered house brick he's driving, I think that's a pretty impressive days work for a rookie driver.

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Stevens was solid in p1 and p2 but sadly will not be on the grid for Malaysia due to an unfixable car which is a real shame for him and the team.

Stevens has never been slow but he's never been spectacular. He's certainly shown he can hold hid own. I had expected Merhi to beat him and I still do but will watch with interest.

Top Bottom