Who might replace Massa and where might he go?

I'm afraid to say Massa is a gonna from Ferrari because I don't see how he's going to pull it back. Personally I think his replacement depends on how Perez does for the rest of the season. I think Webber is being lined up by smoothing him over as the alternative now that Kubica is not an option. If Perez carries on the way he has for the first 4 GP then he'll be in the Ferrari.

As for Massa - can't see him going back to Sauber. If Perez does go to Ferrari then they'll replace him with Gutteriez from GP2 because of their major Mexican backing (and the fact he's been the reserve driver for 2 seasons) and I can't see them getting rid of Kobi unless Abrovich's millions bring in Petrov but I can't see that either.

Everywhere else seems a little tied up as well so I'm afraid Fellipe may drop out the sport.

the_roadie, Williams do seem to have a liking for South Americans, the current two are a little younger and a little more gutsy.

FM seemed to have such a future but he lost it along the way, and am not sure whether it can all be put down to his accident.

I think Massa should take all of 2013 out of motorsport all together.

Give himself a break and time to recover mentally and emotionally, rebuild his confidence and then try for any team that will have him in 2014 or go for a test driver role in the midfield while taking a race seat in another series

FM seemed to have such a future but he lost it along the way, and am not sure whether it can all be put down to his accident.

Some of it can be put down to his accident, some to Germany 2010, but a far less visible cause is that Massa never got to grip with the narrow front tyres from 2010 onwards. In fact his early 2010 near-matching of Alonso may just be an illusion as Alonso got to grips with the difficult Ferrari.

Maybe Massa was never as good as many people thought he was. Kimi was having a bad season and that F2008 may have flattered him.

Or it could have been put down to his accident and Germany 2010. As well as Alonso just generally being the team's main focus.

Or it could be both combined. Who knows.

I'm more incline to think it's the latter. It wouldn't the first time an accident hinders the performance of a F1 driver. Hakkinnen comes to mind as a turning point career as a a result of an accident.

I suggest just as big a part has been him being mentally crushed by Alonso. Alonso's brushing him aside into the pitlane and then having to wait behind Alonso as Alonso was given new boots was, IMO, a key event.

Kewee
http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/56002.html
Flavio Briatore says that Fernando Alonso "is one of the few great drivers" and deserves to beat Michael Schumacher's record of titles at Ferrari.
Briatore, who is still involved in the management of Alonso, ranks the double-world champion alongside the likes of Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost, while also highlighting Michael Schumacher but then describing Alonso as "a little better". Briatore was team principal when Alonso won both his title at Renault and has been linked with a future role at Ferrari, but he said regardless of his presence Alonso can win many more championships.
And this one.
http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?optio...switch-to-replace-massa&catid=1:f1&Itemid=157
Webber
More reports are suggesting Australian Formula One driver Mark Webber could be Ferrari bound.

One of Spain's leading Formula 1 correspondents, Raymond Blancafort, wrote in El Mundo Deportivo that "there may be a pre-contract" between the Maranello based team and Red Bull's experienced racer.

Webber, 35, was also linked with Ferrari last year, before Red Bull decided to sign him up for another single season alongside Sebastian Vettel.

He is now touted as Felipe Massa's 2013 replacement, not only because of his "experience (and) the consistency of his results" but because "he gets along" with number one driver Fernando Alonso, Blancafort said.

Flavio Briatore also manages both Alonso and Webber.

There's been a strong rumour going around this week saying that Paul Di Resta could be the one to replace Massa. Now this is only a rumour, but if this is true then i've got my reservations about Paul joining Ferrari alongside Fernando Alonso. I just don't want him joining as a number 2, he's so much more talented than that. I really hope it's Mercedes and not Ferrari he joins for 2013.

sportsman....I've read both those reports also but took them with a pinch of salt. Neither of those reports acknowledge that Luis Garcia Abad is his manager. He is, but as I say Alonso remains close to Briatore and as a friend it would be normal for him to offer his advise. I'm not sure whether you saw the interview with Briatore after Alonso signed with McLaren. He was as surprised as anyone. There were quotes from Abad at the time regarding Alonso's move but only bewilderment from Briatore. He clearly wasn't close enough to Alonso even then to be considered his manager. Alonso has always been an incredibly private person and that extends to his management and obviously his private life. It's remarkable how many go to print with information about Alonso never quoted by Alonso himself.

Well latest rumours as reported by sportsman over on the Massa thread are that the Force India pair and Jerome D'ambrosio - D'ambrosio being looked at primarily because he's avaliable now and would agree to a half year contract giving them the rest of the season to sort out the seat for 2013. I'm sure the fact he's had experience driving that Lotus car round Maranello would be quite handy too.

On that subject is anyone surprised Sebastian Buemi's name hasn't been thrown into the mix? He's been linked with Ferrari before, he has 3 years of F1 experience driving a Ferrari powered car and he's also got inside knowledge on the inner workings of Red Bull. I know he'd be on my list.

As discussed over on the Adrian Sutil thread the German has made some very unsubtle hints about wanting the drive too.

Yeah surprised Buemi or Alguersuarus arent on the list same with Sutil.

They are proven race drivers, if you are going to look at D'Ambrosio, you may aswell look at others who have had far more experience.

I guess it's because Sutil has a criminal record, Buemi is tied up with Red Bull doing constant simulator work, I don't know about Alguersaurus Rex.

Would love to see Buemi back though, merely because I'm a fan of his, plus I think he is probably the best option since he's done a lot of simulator work on these cars, but the D'Ambrosio has actually driven one of the current cars with the current tyres during the Mugello test :thinking:

I don't think Ruben's spring was the cause of Felipe's malaise, I think Fernando is. Alonso is more forceful and more charismatic and has stolen Massa's seat as the axis of the Scuderia's orbit. The two enjoy very different types of cars and Ferrari seem focused on fulfilling Alonso's needs over Massa's.

The cruel irony is that the only reason he's not already been sacked is Ferrari have failed to lure any of their A-listers (Perez, Webber & Kobayashi) to the team. The air at the Scuderia has become toxic to Felipe and he'll have to go elsewhere if he's any hope of recovering. With an average result of 13th (and a DNF) on the season, he can't be so dense not to realise he's living on borrowed time. He needs to move on before his record is too tarnished and he yet is held preferable to any of the promising throng of "ladies in waiting."

Pastor Maldonado will have bounced a long way up many teams' wish list including Ferrari's, surely?

One swallow and all that - if Maldo can do it again, he may have bargaining power. If Massa comes in 3rd or 4th at Monaco, he may be saved for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom