What Should Rosberg do?

Muzz

Test Driver
Nico Rosberg, is clearly a very good driver, but how good remains to be seen personally I think he's capable of championships, but if come the end of the season he has the choice of Ferrari (as EJ said) Mercedes (he's out of contract at the end of this season) or Renault, where do you go, do you stay with Mercedes and hope they can push forward, do you go to Ferrari and face Alonso, and risk becoming number 2 if you lose, or do you go to Renault and try with Kubica to drive the team forward. Surely he has a problem here, if he cannot get into a quick car will he be confined to the book of "could have beens" like Heidfeld, Brundle, even DC, it would be a shame to see such a waste of talent.

p.s. my first article, I'm a new member I've been a member of BBC606 for 2 years and have had my own forum for a year, no I'm not here to advertise it, just to hear some more opinions

Welcome Muzz, you'll like it here, we don't bite, much... In regards to Rosberg, Mercedes aren't going anywhere fast. If Ferrari offer him a contract he would be stupid to turn it down and ironically that could be the only vacant seat depending on Heidfelds performances. If Mercedes have a season similar to last year he has to get out or his career is ruined.

Firstly it is by no means a given that Petrov may not remain at Renault.His contract is until the end of the 2012 season.
So there might not be a seat available there anyway.
Ferrari are very unlikely.And there are no indications that Massa may not be kept on.Massa's contract is until the end of 2012
If Mercedes decide to keep him that would be his best option.But again they might decide to hire another driver.
In short I have no idea.

The driver carousel starts earlier every season - we haven't even had the third race yet :D

Personally, if I was Rosberg and if there were both choices available then I'd go for Renault.
If he was to go to Ferrari then he would be a definite number 2, whereas at Renault he would have at least have a chance of going for race wins.
Regarding Kubica, I'll go on record now as saying that he won't be back in F1. Or if he is, he won't be anywhere near as competitive.

p.s. my first article, I'm a new member I've been a member of BBC606 for 2 years and have had my own forum for a year, no I'm not here to advertise it, just to hear some more opinions
BTW, welcome to the site, glad to see you got rid of that dreadful moderator who had a habit of insulting me and this site ;)

Welcome Muzz - here is your complimentary :moustache:

I agree that the best career move for Nico would be to get out of the Merc as soon as possible, I haven't written them off to get a podium or two this season (probably with Nico at the wheel) but they don't seem making the progress that an organisation the size of Mercedes should be able to.

Then there is the assumption that Robert Kubica will come back to F1 and even if he does will he be the same? I very much doubt both.*

That potentially leaves a space at Renault next year assuming on how well Nick does this season.

It's all a bit of a bugger's muddle really.

*Edit - damn it - beaten by Brogan yet again - Damn you!!!!! ;)

Surely he has a problem here, if he cannot get into a quick car will he be confined to the book of "could have beens" like Heidfeld, Brundle, even DC, it would be a shame to see such a waste of talent.
Keep the faith.
he.jpg

Also, DC got the machinery to prove himself.

I wouldn't write off Mercedes so soon. Bear in mind that theirs is still assumed to be the best engine in the field, and with what used to be Ilmor as the folks developing their 1.6 turbo that isn't likely to change in 2013. I have a feeling that the chassis side of things is still suffering from the layoffs of the Brawn era and they seem to be intent on turning that round. With Bob Bell on team, if I were Nico I would be seriously thinking about consolidating my position within Mercedes and making sure that I was lined up to be undisputed #1 when Schumi finally quits for good.

Nico has a very difficult decision to make, you'd have to be insane to leave a team led by Ross Brawn and powered by a Mercedes engine. However they are not delivering for the second successive year, it could go on year on year.

But if you look at the options very closely the only team that can guarantee Nico a competitive car is Red Bull. So unless they offer him a job he is best to stay put and keep faith with Ross Brawn who is a proven winner.

I thought Rosberg was on a 3 year contract with Mercedes meaning he's not releasable until the end of 2012?

He is in a very tricky position, again. Renault are looking good but there is nothing to suggest Mercedes wont be as good. Red Bull have got to be looking like an attractive prospect to anyone and Nico has too intelligent a head to even contemplate going to Ferrari with Alonso there. He is also very ethical as a driver and I just cannot see him being attracted to the Ferrari way.

But... if he wants to win and even be remotely in with a chance of winning the WDC he has to get a move on.

Red Bull would be my first choice - I think Vettel would still edge him on qualifying but Rosberg is a better racer.

But... if he wants to win and even be remotely in with a chance of winning the WDC he has to get a move on.

Like Mansell did? All we need is some latter day Peter Warr to pass judgement and he's a shoo in for the 2019 WDC!

Nico has a very difficult decision to make, you'd have to be insane to leave a team led by Ross Brawn and powered by a Mercedes engine. However they are not delivering for the second successive year, it could go on year on year.

But if you look at the options very closely the only team that can guarantee Nico a competitive car is Red Bull. So unless they offer him a job he is best to stay put and keep faith with Ross Brawn who is a proven winner.
Yep, couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom