What is Raw Pace?

Raw pace.

What is raw pace? When does pace become raw?
How do you get raw pace over say, regular fast, race winning pace?

For sure. Noooooo! :clip:

Raw pace is unadulterated pace. It is the pace shown when a driver gets into the car for the first time on a clear track and gives it the beans. Drivers who have a lesser "raw pace" will take longer to learn the track whereas driver with an abundance of "raw pace" will attack it straight away and through instinct will be immediately fast. However, "raw pace" may not translate into "race winning pace" when a driver needs to also apply "race craft".

Perhaps this discussion is worthy of it's own thread...

Raw Pace => Natural Ability

Those with natural ability are recognised to have the greatest potential. That is not to say that this potential is always reached as there is a lot that can be accounted for hard work. Those with a high level of natural ability too often tend to feel that they don't need to work and are outshone by those that train to win. It is the same in all sports.

I think "raw pace" is a language thing. The word 'pace' is too short to provide the emphasis required so we add 'raw' in front of it to make that part of a sentence stand out.

"He has raw pace" somehow sounds stronger than "he has pace". In this context, 'raw' is an adverb that modifies the adjective 'pace'.

I think you are quite right though. If you think about the adverb in isolation, it makes little sense.

(Do you see what I did :) "quite" and "little" are also adverbs that do the same job in their respective sentences too. The meaning would be different if I had said "I think you are right. If you think about the adverb in isolation, it doesn't make sense")

Pace and raw pace are two very different things.

For example, the raw pace of a car is how quick it is out of the box. It's ultimate pace is what you can get out of it after optimising the set-up of the car.

Are you saying that a car with raw pace doesn't have pace, or that a car with pace doesn't have raw pace ExtremeNinja ? ;)

Not that different then?

I'm just messing with you! :) I think it's just a change of emphasis and one of the beautiful subtleties of language.

Shall we move onto the pendantic grammar thread to contiune this, old bean?

I think it deserves it's own thread. It's not about pedantry, it is about understanding what is meant. "Raw pace" is a concept rather than a throw away statement and is one that seems not to be understood by all.

Raw Pace = Uncooked Step

Basically it's a lazy definition - it's used for people and equipment without a pause for breath.

As Extremeninja says, for people it's natural talent, but for their equipment what do you reckon? Quick even when it's been set up by a 7 year old?

Everyone knows what is meant, but it's easy to be derogatory to the drivers and mechanics in singing the praises of the designers

I think of Raw Pace as inherent pace. In terms of a car, it is how much seems to be available, with or without it being fully unlocked, for example, this years Williams.

In terms of a driver, it is the almost instinctive ability to be really quick, regardless of car, and set up. Lewis Hamilton in Canada is a good example, as was Vettels Pole lap at Valencia. I think Brogans analogy of Ronnie O'Sullivan is a good one, in that Ronnie has innate and inherent talent, and has the ability to play better snooker than any player in the history of the sport (in my opinion) and the chance he will do so is ever present. He has raw talent. When he can focus that talent, he is unbeatable.

I agree with gethinceri it is a term used by commentators (Usually used to describe the car and not the driver.) to say something without thought or forethought as to what they are actually saying other examples of this are "On a knife edge", "He's absolutely flying out there", "Nobody can touch him", He has been supreme", "He's on a hot lap" and many many others I can't be bothered to think of right now or I'd be here all night, and if you actually analysed them you would find they don't mean anything...

Back
Top Bottom