What if .. (tracks in the future)

Floris

Rookie
Sit down for this one, take a sip of your drink and roll your eyes to the top right and think about this for a moment. And then come share your thoughts. (Eh with a grain of salt)

What if it is the future, say a 100 or 500 years ahead from now. And we can assume we still have Formula 1 racing, tracks, cars (in the sense of how we have them now, with wheels on the ground), and newer cheaper technology to help us build tracks to squeeze out those seconds, to ensure they're not bumpy but completely flat, with dynamic corners and width, and for example, temperature controlled environments. How would you desire, foresee, or wish things were?

Let's say it might not be too far fetched to have a track where there's a mechanism on the side to help clean the track, so any dirt sucked in by the cars during the many laps could be removed safely during the race. Is that something we want, or is it part of the race, part of the track?

Or, is it that far fetched to imagine temperature control underneath the track to keep it cool, or perhaps warmer. Or is it part of the fun that the temperatures from the environment play a part, making it more unpredictable who's engine will last longer, who's super soft tires might wear out quicker?

What about width of the track. The element of failure could be increased by having the ability to making the track a meter (or whatever) narrower. Introducing a new type of F1 racing, where top players basically are more challenged.

And if we could make tracks completely flat. Less bumpy for a smoother ride, with an easier ability to correct imperfections through the years. Would that be something we want?

Oh, and what about dynamic corners? With that I mean some sort of means to have a sharper hairspin, a wider ride-out when coming out of a corner, or increase the angle of the corner for higher corner speeds? I mean, the ability to have control over this so a single track could be slightly changed to a type to get a different experience when racing in a certain league, etc.

Are there any technologies you could think of that you perhaps would like to see in the future? So it will help drivers max out their experience, challenge them, and still be a lot of fun for the viewer? What about ways to help protect them. Some sort of flexible wall mechanism perhaps that you could think of? Or perhaps you have a better way to handle pitstops?

Looking forward to your constructive opinions and out of the box ideas.

I think the obvious improvement would be to reduce the amount of run-off needed, so for example we wouldn't have that useless chicane at Abu Dhabi. Also, we shouldn't try to make tracks smooth like a snooker table, and have circuits which have crazy elevation changes, and super-fast corners (such as the old A1-Ring). I don't think we should change circuits too much once they are built apart from changes which are requested by many drivers and teams to improve the racing.

Interesting you say that. I went karting the other day and what used to be a double apexed left handler is now a smooth single apex radius bend. All they did was move the barriers. It seems to be worth 2 10ths but it's now a less challenging corner.

Or maybe we could have those corners where it is not quite full throttle normally, but someone may be brave and go for full throttle. (a bit like what Eau Rouge was in the nineties.

I think the obvious improvement would be to reduce the amount of run-off needed, so for example we wouldn't have that useless chicane at Abu Dhabi. Also, we shouldn't try to make tracks smooth like a snooker table, and have circuits which have crazy elevation changes, and super-fast corners (such as the old A1-Ring). I don't think we should change circuits too much once they are built apart from changes which are requested by many drivers and teams to improve the racing.
Fair enough, but I was talking about the future, surely we're able to build some new tracks ;)

When I saw this post the first two things which entered my mind were http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_2048 and Bernie's sprinkler idea :D

It's an interesting question as by then cars as we know them today will cease to exist, so what form will motor racing take?

Engines will most likely be super high capacity batteries and tyres may have been superseded by some form of Maglev (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev).
That would solve the problem of marbles once and for all ;)

In the more immediate future I expect we'll see the reg's being changed to allow alternative fuels, although that will introduce all sorts of problems related to power equalisation.

Circuit-wise, I can't really think of anything I'd like to see introduced.

Make the cars RPVs. Gets human drivers out of the loop, so there would be no limit to the G loads that would be acceptable in cornering.

We really must sort out our marketing strategy!LOL

Anyway, I for one am more than happy to welcome your contribution to our most strange adventure in creative collaboration! I defer to teabagyokel since the concept is his creation.

Edit: Oh, by the way, there is no blaming here! We are anti-blame!:)

Back
Top Bottom