Le Mans WEC 2017

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Entry list for this years WEC - Interesting driver for Bykolles in LMP1 Privateer

16487115_1357724577617326_6426633962193055994_o.jpg

Not surprised, I thought he would be in. He tested the car a couple of months back and after a couple of laps he was already half a second quicker than the team's regular drivers.

Just a reminder that the WEC season kicks off next weekend at Silverstone with the 6 hour race. It will be live on Motors TV if any of you want to watch or sit track side for just £40.

Toyota 1-2 in LMP1 (Kubica has bailed on the Bykolles car BTW), Alex Lynn and Pierre Thiriet on pole for G-Drive in LMP2 and Andy Priaulx and Harry Tincknell in the Ford GT beat the Ferrari's to pole in LMGTE Pro.

I expect it to be a bit of a Toyota walkover in LMP1 this Sunday. Porsche have effectively sacrificed the first two races by putting all their Easter eggs in the Le Mans basket. They're using their low downforce configuration, effectively practicing for Le Mans. They'll be at a disadvantage on Silverstone and Spa's long sweeping curves.

Watched the first 2 1/2 hours and then put the GP on. When the F1 had finished I put the WEC back on and there was 20 minutes left. Those 20 minutes were more exciting than the whole of the F1 race.
In the last 15 minutes Buemi was 1.8 sec behind the leading Porsche and had to throw it up the inside the Loop to get ahead of Hartley

6 hours is a long time for a motor race but somehow the rule makers for the WEC have managed to equalise the car performance in such a way so as to bring very different power systems close to one another and give close racing throughout. LPM2 was super close but much faster than last year. Oh, and the leading guy in the GTE race played synchronised car dancing on the final lap.

I did precisely the same thing.

Glad Lopez was OK though, that looked ike a really nasty full-frontal impact... couldn't believe he managed to bring it back to the pits.

For those with nothing better to do this afternoon the 6 hours of Spa is live on Motorsport TV this afternoon, coverage starts at 1:15.

In LMP1 Jani and Lotterer are on pole for Porsche followed by 3 Toyota's, as they get ready for Le Mans. The Bykolles, non-hybrid LMP1 car is way back amongst the LMP2 cars.

Alex Lynn and Pierre Thiriet have the LMP2 pole for G-Drive. Bird and Rigon have the LMPGTE Pro pole in their Ferrari and Dalla Lana, Lama and Lauda have put their Aston Martin at the front of the LMPGTE Am class. The Manor LPM2 car starts right at the back after Vitaly Petrov binned it in qualifying.

Another great race that had action all the way though the 6 hours - if you didn't see it try and find the highlights package

Watched a few hours. Enjoyed what I saw but unfortunately I was so shattered the wife and I were fast asleep, one on each sofa.

I was really enjoying the battle between the two Ferraris while the Ford GTs tried to recover.

We were planning on going to Le Mans this year but circumstances are likely to mean it'll have to be for anoher year... >:( Who's broadcasting it this year, are Eurosport still doing it?...

Of potentially niche interest, but there is live radio and text commentary of the Le Mans Test Day today. Two four-hour sessions.

Also, the full entry list with complete driver line-ups (until they change!) is here.

Out of interest, here's what's happened to the 'refugee' drivers who raced for Audi last year:

André Lotterer: LMP1 for Porsche
Benoît Tréluyer: Italian GT3 for Audi (R8)
Marcel Fässler: GTE-Pro for Corvette & Blancpain GT3 for Audi (R8)
Loïc Duval: DTM for Audi & Formula E for Dragon Racing
Lucas di Grassi: GTE-Pro for AF Corse/Ferrari & Formula E for Abt/Audi
Oliver Jarvis: LMP2 for Jackie Chan/DC Racing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom