Webber's Future at Red Bull

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Christian Horner has been talking about the future of Red Bull racing and, unsurprisingly, has put Sebastien Vettel at the centre of the team's future.

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS

You have to wonder where this leaves Championship leader Mark Webber. Although 34 Webber could have 3, 4 or even 5 more years at the top of the sport but, reading between the lines, Horner doesn't appear to see Webber as part of the future of RBR.

What would you do in Webber's shoes? If he wins the WDC should he try and find a drive with another top team and take the No.1 elsewhere? Stick it out with Red Bull given their success and the potential to continue in 2011 or, should he win the WDC, take a big bow and retire at the absolute pinical of the sport?

I would stay at RBR because: 1. I have a contract to do so. 2) They may well be the team to beat again next year, and, most importantly, 3) I enjoy rubbing Horner's nose in it by having the number 1 on MY car at each race, rather than on the car of his "chosen one".

I enjoy rubbing Horner's nose in it by having the number 1 on MY car at each race, rather than on the car of his "chosen one".

That would be rather fun, let's hope if Webber does win the WDC Horner doesn't go all "Frank Williams" on us and boots Webber out.

What future at RB? I would say his effectiveness at RB would be quite reduced next year because of the focus on SV and Webber would be well advised to search for a top line drive and financial rewards at another team. I imagine that the statement shows that RB would be amenable to divesting itself of Webber's contract. I don't really see him just riding out his RB contract for the financial gain or retiring now that he has reached this level.

All the top teams are signed up for next year, his best bet is staying for another year and getting a Ferrari seat for 2012.

McLarenSupremo said:
All the top teams are signed up for next year, his best bet is staying for another year and getting a Ferrari seat for 2012.

So he can be a number two driver again? No chance! No way would Alonso allow it anyway, he needs somebody on their way up who can be a competent rear gunner and no more.

I don't think Webber and Red Bull should stick together, I think if he wins the title with them this year (or indeed if he does not), then Red Bull would be correct to try and make a move with their promising 23-year-old rather than continuing with a man who is clearly at a peak of his career that he is unlikely to repeat.

To put it into perspective, only 10 drivers in the history of F1 won any races before their 24th birthday; whilst Vettel has currently won 8.

Vettel, Alonso, Troy Rutmann (Indy 500 1952), Bruce McLaren, Hamilton, Raikkonen, Kubica, Ickx, Schumacher and Fittipaldi

Whilst his performances this year have not been exemplary in any sense, he must be Red Bull's best long term option. And I think if Webber wins the title this year, I think in the sense of both parties we can claim job done.

Back
Top Bottom