Webber reopens old wounds

MCLS

Anti F1 fan
Valued Member
Webber has dropped a bomb in his own team by suggesting that Vettel is the number one driver, but is this really necessary, its only going to make the team less likely to give him help in Brazil even though he has the most chance of catching Alonso, this is really an own goal by him and I don't know what he is trying to achieve by saying this. Advantage Alonso and Hamilton possibly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9161758.stm

Or perhaps that is the way his mind works, remember, it worked for him in Silverstone and the early part of the year. Maybe he needs to do this to push himself.

I would still prefer Mark to win it rather than Alonso..

Quite apart from being honest and straightforward, it helps him this weekend by focusing attention on Horner and the others on the pitwall. If the running order is 1. Vettel 2. Webber 3. Alonso, as it may well be, Mark needs Christian to "make the call". Having the world's press on his side won't do any harm in terms of putting pressure on the team - remember, Red Bull's raison d'etre is positive publicity.

That's a very good point G.

It will be extremely interesting to see what Red Bull do in that situation.
I expect however they won't give the order to switch.

Galahad said:
Quite apart from being honest and straightforward, it helps him this weekend by focusing attention on Horner and the others on the pitwall. If the running order is 1. Vettel 2. Webber 3. Alonso, as it may well be, Mark needs Christian to "make the call". Having the world's press on his side won't do any harm in terms of putting pressure on the team - remember, Red Bull's raison d'etre is positive publicity.

No call will be made there. The only call to be made is when Alonso is ahead of Vettel, who is in turn ahead of Webber, and if Vettel is realistically unable to pass Alonso.

I think point of Mark's comments are that he knows the emotional support is for Vettel, whereas Webber is regarded as an employee, which he is fine with. Given the same tools, Webber has done a better job and I suspect he's very comfortable with that. Besides, who's ever heard of an Aussie in need of a cuddle?

Muddytalker said:
Galahad said:

No call will be made there. The only call to be made is when Alonso is ahead of Vettel, who is in turn ahead of Webber, and if Vettel is realistically unable to pass Alonso.

If they don't make the call in my original situation, this would be the result: Alonso 246, Webber 238, Vettel 231. So Fernando can finish second to Mark in Abu Dhabi and still take the title; while as long as he finishes fourth or better there's no way for Vettel to win it.

In that situation Seb's chances are pretty slim, so why not make the sensible call now? That way, Alonso can't afford to finish behind Webber in the finale.

Galahad said:
Muddytalker said:

If they don't make the call in my original situation, this would be the result: Alonso 246, Webber 238, Vettel 231. So Fernando can finish second to Mark in Abu Dhabi and still take the title; while as long as he finishes fourth or better there's no way for Vettel to win it.

In that situation Seb's chances are pretty slim, so why not make the sensible call now? That way, Alonso can't afford to finish behind Webber in the finale.

It's sensible yes, but we're forgetting who is making the call... Let's be honest here, if Vettel cannot win the title, few people at Red Bull will shed tears if Mark is also unable to.

If Red Bull score 1-2 Vettel-Webber in both races they will be both be tied on 256 points but Vettel will have the extra win so takes the title.

Alonso will need a minimum of 27 points - at least one 3rd place and one 4th place - in the remaining 2 races to secure his title so a single poor or non-finish will end his challenge. A 3rd and a 5th place from Alonso will mean he joins the Red Bulls on 256 points but Vettel will still have the extra win. Two 4th place finishes will leave Alonso on 255.

Red Bull are never going to order Vettel to yield while there is still a good chance he can take the title. A single error, loose wheel nut or penalty could be enough to cost Alonso 2 places in either of the races.

F1Yorkshire said:
If Red Bull score 1-2 Vettel-Webber in both races they will be both be tied on 256 points but Vettel will have the extra win so takes the title.

Alonso will need a minimum of 27 points - at least one 3rd place and one 4th place - in the remaining 2 races to secure his title so a single poor or non-finish will end his challenge. A 3rd and a 5th place from Alonso will mean he joins the Red Bulls on 256 points but Vettel will still have the extra win. Two 4th place finishes will leave Alonso on 255.

Red Bull are never going to order Vettel to yield while there is still a good chance he can take the title. A single error, loose wheel nut or penalty could be enough to cost Alonso 2 places in either of the races.

Currently, the 'medal table' is
Alonso 5 (2x2nds)
Webber 4 (3x2nds)
Hamilton 3 (4x2nds)
Vettel 3 (2x2nds)
Button 2 (3x2nds)

So Alonso and Vettel would be level on wins, but Vettel has an extra 4th place, if we go with the 3rd and 5th for Alonso...

F1Yorkshire said:

If Vettel is relying on errors or mechanical issues for Alonso, then (in my estimation) he hasn't got a good chance of taking the title.

I doubt whether everyone at Red Bull is quite as pro-Vettel as it is portrayed, either. Many, if not most, of them have worked with Mark for longer.

A more pertinent question perhaps is if Red Bull do make the switch, will there be the same outcry as there was after Germany?

Brogan said:
A more pertinent question perhaps is if Red Bull do make the switch, will there be the same outcry as there was after Germany?

Probably. There's an outcry whenever anything interesting happens. Whether it's justified or not.

Back
Top Bottom