Watching track-side

That absolutely sucks!! Sounds like unreasonable profit margins. Even if FOM didn't make a penny out of it, Fanvision would still add value to the spectator experience which, indirectly, FOM would benefit from. Why not do a deal for 2013 and then put a 2014 deal out for tender, allowing competitors, assuming there are any, to pitch for the contract?

Oh great. I make use of that all weekend at Silverstone. This news will genuinely affect my enjoyment of the GP this year. Bah. :( :no:

For me, the fact that this is offered track side, this just reinforces the fact that motor racing is mainly a televisual sport and, as much as the atmosphere at a circuit is great, what you get to see is pretty piss poor. Shame for those that go won't be able to see it though. Wonder if the network coverage at Silverstone could cope with lots of people watching on 3G via a smart phone or tablet app?

Not all motor-racing. That depends from circuit to circuit and series to series. The best motor racing I have ever seen from a live spectators point of view happened yesterday in Charlton at the BRKC, where you could see every corner and straight on the circuit. There are some F1 venues that are natural amphitheatres and provide a better live experience. Spa is one of these, depending on where you plant yourself and the other obvious one is Interlagos. Monaco, in contrast, was fine last year for qualli because much of the excitement comes from the live timing but watching the race was a bit of a non-event.

For me, the fact that this is offered track side, this just reinforces the fact that motor racing is mainly a televisual sport and, as much as the atmosphere at a circuit is great, what you get to see is pretty piss poor. Shame for those that go won't be able to see it though. Wonder if the network coverage at Silverstone could cope with lots of people watching on 3G via a smart phone or tablet app?

As it goes I'll be in the Woodcote A grandstand this year which gives a view of around1/3 of the circuit and the best overtaking spot at the end of the Wellington straight so it's not as bad as it could be from a viewing perspective. I normally use the Kangaroo TV device for all of its available functions - different onboard feeds, timings, favourite drivers etc. but you're right; the fact it's an enhancement to actually being there live itself is somewhat of a paradox to the point of attending the live event in the first place! Still, for around £13.00 a day I think it's worth it.

Perhaps think of it as an interactive programme. An enhancement to an already great experience. Once given it is hard to have it taken away.

I found it very difficult to follow what was actually happening in the races when I went to a couple of GPs a few years back. By the time the grid has spread out and backmarkers are getting in the way it's very difficult to figure out/remember where everyone is.

I never tried one of the Kangaroo things but always thought they were a good idea and I don't really understand what FOM has to gain by what sounds like simply refusing them a contract... unless they have an alternative ready for 2013.

I don't think FOM refused them a contract.

The fact that the press release states that they were "unable to reach a new agreement" tells me one thing; FOM massively hiked the cost for them and they weren't able to pay the higher fees.
Or at least without operating at a loss and/or increasing the prices for the fans - much like the circuits have to do.

Back
Top Bottom