Poll Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

Was Hamilton right to not yield to Rosberg?

• Yes

Votes: 59 90.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
If your team gives an instruction, you should remember who is paying your salary! The instruction was (probably) incorrect, but I don't agree with the result. (Just as I didn't with multi 21 last year!)

EDIT...

I can see strong reasons for the change, as Rosberg was compromised by the sloppy pit stop by Mercedes which potentially gave Hamilton track position!

Last edited:
I don't think Rosbergs' strategy was the optimum either. He got stuck in traffic after his pitstop, which was the main reason why Hamilton came out in front of him after his pitstop, while he (Rosberg) should have been faster, he thus wasn't really faster.

Mercedes decided to give Rosberg the "advantage" of the first pitstop. At the same time, Vettel nearly crashes out, so Hamilton got another position for free. He then overtook Vergne so he was in clean air. Rosberg, however, was again stuck in traffic, so he even lost time on his brand-new tyres.
Still I think it wasn't so bad for Rosberg. His soft tyres slowly lost their advantage over Hamilton's hard tyres, so it would have made sense to pit him earlier. I believe he pitted in lap 32 and 56, which means his second stop was some 5 laps too late. If he had pitted in lap 51, he would have had another 5 laps to catch up with Alonso and Hamilton.
I don't think Hamilton's strategy was optimal either.

Fernando pitted two laps before Lewis and was given a set of soft tyres. Giving Lewis a set of mediums was a kick in the teeth for all his hard work and his stop was 4.4secs, only 0.5 quicker than Nico's. Had Lewis been given a set of his brand new softs he could have won that race.

No one in their right mind should have used the medium tyre in that race.

Last edited:
Indeed, The Artist..... I actually do feel sorry for Rosberg a little bit. Having held himself up by failing to have whatever it was that he needed to pass Hamilton must be a tad disconcerting. Methinks it will ultimately be very good for him to know that he cannot count on a "free pass". It would not do at all for him to get into lazy habits. :D

Oh, and seriously now, he should not need reminding that Mercedes have publicly sworn that their drivers, and I quote, "are allowed to race"...

Oh, and seriously now, he should not need reminding that Mercedes have publicly sworn that their drivers, and I quote, "are allowed to race"...

They neglect to mention that they are only allowed to race within the confines of a race strategy mapped out by a single strategist. Which is ultimately driven by a preoccupation with fairness and keeping the cars from occupying the same part of the track at the same time.

Splitting your drivers race strategy only guarantees that one driver is on the wrong strategy. Today they just guaranteed that neither driver was on the right strategy.

Indeed so. snowy . Here's a thought ...

... and I know "if" is a dodgy concept, especially in F1, but here is a "what if" ...

... what if Lewis had a final pit stop a lap before Nico's last one, and the stop was no slower than Nico's, would he have had a better shot at the second step on the podium or even the win? Nico and Daniel Ricciardo both showed how quickly their cars were able to chase down and rejoin the "leading group". Who thinks Lewis would not have been able to achieve the same feat?

Hamilton was chasing the car ahead, why should he slow down to let his team mate past him? Rosberg didn't put himself in a position to flash by, without hindering his team mate, he wanted Hamilton to physically slow down for him, and screw his own race in the process. If he had been in the position to just move over without losing speed, fair enough. But Why should he slow down. Why?

Fenderman
I don't think anyone anticipated Rosberg being 3 seconds a lap faster than anyone else; similarly I don't think anyone anticipated that Hamilton would not be able to pass Alonso. In hindsight, we can all say that it was a simple decision to pit Hamilton again, but at the time, most people were saying that there was no chance that Rosberg would catch up again!

Back
Top Bottom