Virgin won't go all the way

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Yes, it's true.
Virgin have designed their car with a fuel tank that's too small to complete some races.
Including this weekend's Australian GP.

So if they can overcome their reliability issues, it's doubtful whether they can finish the race anyway.

They're hoping to have a new design in place by Turkey which is race 7.

Did they misinterpret the data from Cosworth or just get their sums wrong?
It seems like a fairly fundamental error to make.

Nick Wirth had this to say: "At the time the design of the tank was locked down in June 2009, its capacity was determined by a number of factors, some of which have since changed, and the tank capacity now needs to be increased accordingly"

Which factors changed?
The rules and reg's haven't as far as I am aware, neither has the Cosworth engine.
I'm pretty sure also that the race distances are about the same too, give or take a hundred metres here or there.
Curious.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82374

Elsewhere, it has been suggested that this is a smokescreen to allow them to introduce a F-duct. I think if it's anything ulterior then it's more to address their fundamental aero deficiencies, and potentially badly designed mechanical systems.

This is the team that trumpets its adherence to a £40m budget.

teabagyokel said:
FACEPALM!
Quite :D

facepalm.gif

I would imagine there would be protests a plenty if the car that is supposed to have a tweek to allow for an extra 12kgs of fuel suddenly comes back a couple of seconds quicker. I know if I was HRT, Lotus and maybe a couple of the other slower teams such as Sauber and Torro Rosso, I'd be keeping a close eye on this.

Making the tank a 12 litres smaller seems like a massive error on someones behalf.

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
FB perhaps you should on the BBC website, seemed they liked it so much they nicked it lol.
A bit like they nicked our Bahrain overtaking stat's which were mentioned during P1 without so much as a mention of where they got them from >:(

genji said:
Brogan said:
A bit like they nicked our Bahrain overtaking stat's which were mentioned during P1 without so much as a mention of where they got them from >:(
What happened there, then?
Not much really.
They were discussing overtaking at Bahrain and were mentioning how this year there were more overtakes than previous years, etc. and how only 2006 was higher.

It's fairly obvious where the figures came from, just a shame they didn't give the credit where it was due.

I didn't specifically mean the "BBC website", I was just referring to the BBC in general.

Ant D was talking about it during P1 commentary.

Brogan said:
I didn't specifically mean the "BBC website", I was just referring to the BBC in general.

Ant D was talking about it during P1 commentary.
Yeah that's why I'm asking. I heard that not so long ago. Kudos, if incognito!

genji said:
Yeah that's why I'm asking. I heard that not so long ago. Kudos, if incognito!
You're probably thinking of when they mentioned the 60 overtakes at China in 2009.
Again though that was Galahad's figure and although they mentioned him by his 606 username (GordonMurray at the time), they didn't mention this site.

Anyway, I think we've veered sufficiently off topic now :D

Back
Top Bottom