Valencia

So we should see weather or not Brawn have deeper problems or it really is just an issue of their not getting the tyres up to a working temp on colder tracks.

An interesting trend that Lewis will hope to buck this season is the way his results fell away after Hungary in both his previous seasons.

In 07 up to and including Hungary his record was 3 Wins, 4 Seconds, 3 Thirds and a 9th where as after Hungary it was 1 Win, 1 Second, 3 Points finishes and a retirement.

In 08 up to and including Hungary his record was 4 Wins, 1 Second, 1 Third, 2 Points finishes, 2 non points finishes and a retirement and after Hungary it was 1 win, 1 second, 2 thirds, 3 points finishes and 1 non points finish.

So far this season he has had 1 win, 3 points finishes, 5 non points finishes and 1 disqualification so really the only way is up.

Of the remaining tracks, he dosn't seem to like Brazil where he has finished 5th and 7th but other than that he has been on the podium at each of the remaining circuits but only won in Japan in 07.

So we should see weather or not Brawn have deeper problems or it really is just an issue of their not getting the tyres up to a working temp on colder tracks

I agree C_A_T, this will be the real acid test for Brawn and will probably tell us whether Button has a realistic hope of winning the drivers championship.

I'm not sure Valencia will be a good indicator.

I expect we'll see some strange qualifying strategies just to get on pole and then it will be a case of follow the leader mostly.

I think it will be Spa where we will see who is going to be the eventual WDC.

Brogan said:
Looks like it's going to be a hot one.
Forecast for Friday is sunny and 31° C

Suppose rain is out the question then? :disappointed: Oh well, rain doesn't always make for an interesting race anyway!

After such a long time since the previous race (um, was there a previous race? :unsure: ), I'm really looking forward to this Valencia race weekend! What a stroke of genius having the mammoth summer break before the snooze-fest! :dontmentionit:

It's even worse now, it's up to 35 on Sunday :o

What makes it worse having Valencia after the break is having Hungary before it :D

Ah yes, Hungary was the previous race! Actually, it wasn't that bad, for Hungary anyway! Can Valencia follow suit? Can't be many times that I'll say that Hungary is a tough act to follow! LOL

Fantastic plan by Ferrari which shows why they have the best tactical brains in F1. Obviously they've decided not to reveal just how "on the pace" Luca is just yet so they've told him to run last in first practice. Very clever!!!

Erm GM, Now about this closing of the transfer window, I think we need to talk......... LOL

Well we knew he was going to be off the pace somewhat but almost 2.5 seconds slower than Kimi doesn't bode well for the GP...

Grosjean on the other hand is just 1 second behind Alonso on his debut. It could be an interesting race for him if he manages to close the gap before Sunday.

Pos Driver        Team                      Time             Laps
1. Barrichello Brawn GP-Mercedes (B) 1:42.460 19
2. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:42.636 +0.176 16
3. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:42.654 +0.194 18
4. Button Brawn GP-Mercedes (B) 1:43.074 +0.614 19
5. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:43.088 +0.628 17
6. Sutil Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:43.209 +0.749 13
7. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:43.225 +0.765 25
8. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:43.243 +0.783 19
9. Alonso Renault (B) 1:43.345 +0.885 18
10. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:43.384 +0.924 23
11. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:43.389 +0.929 30
12. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:43.419 +0.959 20
13. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:43.637 +1.177 30
14. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:43.746 +1.286 22
15. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:44.040 +1.580 23
16. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:44.126 +1.666 17
17. Grosjean Renault (B) 1:44.356 +1.896 23
18. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:44.638 +2.178 26
19. Glock Toyota (B) 1:44.732 +2.272 28
20. Badoer Ferrari (B) 1:45.840 +3.380 25

Oh dear...

It would seem Lewis had a little sideways moment and damaged the funky new front wing after brushing the wall.

No pudding for him then :spank: :D

Still, not as bad as Alonso trying to play bumper cars with Heidfeld, especially as he shouldn't have even been there.. >:(

Well I think there's no doubt now that McLaren have solved their problems.

A front row lockout with 2 different cars is fairly impressive.

Lewis Hamilton achieved pole with his first and only flying lap too.
Is that a first on a dry track this season?

Its a first for a while I believe, but it was a mighty odd strategy for McLaren. However, they get the coveted [glow=#FFAA00:3ucwug6a]TEABAG YOKEL'S COMEBACK OF THE YEAR AWARD[/glow:3ucwug6a] and of course Eddie Jordan gets the [glow=#FFAA00:3ucwug6a]TEABAG YOKEL'S PREMATURE TORCHING OF A CAR AWARD[/glow:3ucwug6a].

Enough awards, that man Hamilton is showing why he got that big trophy at the end of last year at the moment. He was indifferent when the McLaren was rubbish, but it seems he's great when in a top car. Lets hope we don't see him overcooking it in turn 2 when it really matters.

As usual, a Safety Car could cause havoc, and if Luca Badoer is really as slow as he appears then mobile chicanery may make a problem and we can always trust Kazuki to find a piece of wall. Unfortunately we have had F1's Wallfinder-in-Chief replaced by the decent-looking Romain Grosjean. Who knows?

But it is looking good for McLaren.

As for the Championship, I suspect Vettel is lighter than Button, who should hence get past him in the pits. As for Webber . I don't think he'll be making up too much ground in the WDC unless he's one stopping and there'll be a mid-race Safety Car as of Piquet Germany 2008 style!

So lets hope for a better race than last year. (OK, so it is unlikely, nay, impossible for it to be worse!)

On EJ, I notice DC and Jake Humphreys were kind enough not to mention EJ's constant wittering about "a KER's car will never win pole". How is it the Irish put it? Ejit I think is the word.

Must have been duff information from his paddock spies again.

Either that or a tragic case of foot in mouth syndrome

It's great to see more teams in the mix for the lead now but it's a shame that this isn't the track to bring out the best in that. Bring on Spa where we could have a three way fight between the Macs, the Brawns and the RBRs. Should be great stuff.

FB said:
On EJ, I notice DC and Jake Humphreys were kind enough not to mention EJ's constant wittering about "a KER's car will never win pole". How is it the Irish put it? Ejit I think is the word.

You kind of get the feeling that the BBC got Coulthard for the decent F1 analysis and Jordan for the leprechaun style comic relief. Which is an improvement on ITV's approach of Mark Blundell (i.e. neither).

However, there is little for KERS left to prove; its got at some stage Pole, FL and the Win! I can't believe the teams want to get rid of it; and I believe that KERS should be in F1 - it is about a trickle down effect and how many road car ads have had a system where energy is not lost after breaking?

I think in x years, F1 cars will be electric (since oil will at some point run out) so its the future.

Back
Top Bottom