Top 10 Quizzes - Argentina 1978

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
I'm going in a new direction with the Top 10 quizzes, and instead of years I'm going to do any individual Grand Prix which tickles my fancy.

With the Netherlands reaching the World Cup final for the first time since Argentina 1978, I feel now is a good time to look at Argentina 1978!

With a quick scan at the Clip the Apex Database I see the top 10 from that race are:

To remind you, I ask one question about each of the men in the top 10!

1. Mario Andretti scored half of his wins in 1978, and scored 11 out of his 12 wins for Lotus. With which constructor did Mario score his first F1 win in 1971?

Ferrari at the South African GP

2. In 1975, Niki Lauda became one of the few F1 drivers to pick up a half point in his home Grand Prix in 1975. It was the second half-point race of the season. In which country was the first?

The Spanish GP, halted when spectators were killed in Rolf Stommelen's accident. There had been concerns that the race was unsafe, and World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi pulled out.

3. Patrick Depallier died before the 1980 German Grand Prix. Who replaced him at Alfa for the subsequent Austrian GP?

Vittorio Brambrilla (weren't we talking about Austria 1975 before?)

4. In 1975, James Hunt won the only race for Hesketh Racing. At which circuit?

Zandvoort

5. Ronnie Peterson was 2nd in the Championship both in 1978 and 1971. He drove for Lotus in 1978, but who did he drive for in 1971?

March

6. Daniel Patrick Charles Maurice Nasri Tambay (seriously) led 195 laps in his Grand Prix career. For which team other than Ferrari did Tambay lead a lap?

Renault at the 1984 French and Italian Grands Prix

7. Carlos Reutemann never won his home Grand Prix despite irritating his neighbours by winning the Brazilian Grand Prix 3 times. Only two men have won the Brazilian Grand Prix more often. One is Michael Schumacher (isn't it always?). Who is the other?

With 6 wins (more than Schu) it is Alain Prost! Fittipaldi, Piquet, Senna and Massa are all top Brazilian with 2!

8. Gilles Villeneuve won 6 races, whilst his son won 11. Which country did they both win a race in?

Spain: Gilles at Jarama in 1981 and Jacques at Catalunya in 1997

9. Emerson Fittipaldi won the World Championship twice and 14 races. Of his brother Wilson and nephew Christian, which of the two got the better best result in F1?

Christian, 4th in three Grands Prix (SA93, Pacific 94, DEU94) better than Wilson (5th, DEU73)

10. In his World title defence year, Jody Scheckter DNQed a Ferrari in the Canadian GP. Team-mate Villeneuve qualified in a lowly 22nd. (Jody was 26th!) Where did GV finish?

5th

And if anyone can find a question about the 1978 Argentinian Grand Prix, I'd be very surprised!

Attachments

• F110.jpg
    F110.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 176
Woot teabag. A personal best of mine for one of your quiz's. A grand total of 4/10 (one 50:50 guess though so not sure if that counts!)

MajorDanby said:
(one 50:50 guess though so not sure if that counts!)

Of course it counts. Get it right, get the point.

Although, it is part of the honesty I love in this forum. There is no big-time Charlie posting "I got 8" just to look good. I know this because no-one has ever got 8.

[Cue next person to post "I got 8" LOL ]

Well TBY, I have in fact just got 8

I didn't get 8 and 10 right :(

You must be slipping old boy LOL

In all honesty, if ever there was a time someone was guaranteed to get 8, that was it.

This quiz looks to be less challenging than the others, so can we get a 10?

Come on fellas!

I should add on Q5 I could only think of one other team Ronnie had raced for and it happened to be right but I also got the highest finishing position right for Q9 but not the race (can I claim a moral 9 :snigger: )

I think that's what's known as "commentator's curse" :D

Well done FB.
Shame about those last 2, look at what you could have won...

FB said:
I should add on Q5 I could only think of one other team Ronnie had raced for and it happened to be right but I also got the highest finishing position right for Q9 but not the race (can I claim a moral 9 :snigger: )

I thought you didn't get Q8 and Q10 right, which would imply that you got Q9 right? Am I to question the 8 posted?

However, the answer for Q9 is 'Wilson' or 'Christian' not anything else.

I knew which of Wilson and Christian had had the higher finish. I also knew what position they finished in but not at which race or year. Am I down to 7 1/2

FB said:
I knew which of Wilson and Christian had had the higher finish. I also knew what position they finished in but not at which race or year. Am I down to 7 1/2

No, you're on 8, I included the races and years as supplementary information of interest. Your score is 8.

higgins87 said:
I have no idea how you can say it's easy!

No-ones ever got 8 before!

I will not be allowing people to consider themselves dim based on a Quiz.

cider_and_toast said:
A big fat ZERO for me as well.

McZiderRed said:
Well, as I got a big fat ZERO, I've decided to wrap it up and give it away. Soooo, if anyone has felt left out this year and would like a present, they can have my quiz score!

Galahad said:
Terrible - a big fat zero for me

cider_and_toast said:
This week I scored Zero, Zip, Nada, Nowt and a big fat naff all.

Brogan said:
In the interests of Christmas spirit, I'll decline to post my score

There have been plenty of 0 scores on these quizzes, and I would not consider any of the people who got them dim. So, shape up Mr. Higgins, lets have some pride!

After those quotes my result doesn't seem so bad ;) hehe.

At least I've managed to avoid getting 0 on any quiz so far, think I got below 1 once but thats it :)

Three!

This sort of score doesn't grow on bushes. Not for me, anyway.

I'm off for a congratulatory cider, which will sit nicely on top of my pre-quiz ciders.

Back
Top Bottom