The Other Schumacher

I think the confusion might indeed have sprung up from the practice session where he crashed in the same corner the following year, because that was one of the first indications the Michelins couldn't take the banking.
There's a video somewhere where Ralf was seen kicking his car in frustration when he got out of it. That was one of the things that started the Michelin teams thinking: "Hmm, we might have a bit of a problem here..."

I don't remember the exact timescale of events but Michelin teams and drivers were angered at the refusal to put a temporary chicane in the middle of the banking, and the rest, as they say...

He was injured in that crash at Indy in 2005 - Riccardo Zonta qualified and sat on the grid at that event.

It was the first flush of Michelin's nightmare weekend, and I think a practice crash from the other Toyota confirmed the problem.

He was injured in both 2004 and 2005 crashes wasn't he?

It's gotta be quite rare in the modern era for a driver to get himself injured at the same corner in successive years.

Wasn't Indy 2005 a tyre pressure issue rather than the tyre construction itself? And I seem to recall that only the Toyotas were actually affected by it.

Back
Top Bottom