The European Quiz

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
Notes on the European Grand Prix

The first part of this quiz will refer to European Grand Prix. The European Grand Prix, until the 1980s, was an honorary title given to Grand Prix in Europe, eg. the 1950 British GP. These races were otherwise entitled and have hence been quizzed about elsewhere.

Ths quiz deals with free-standing European Grand Prix, that is races that were held alongside others in the same country and required an appropriate designation. These races occured in 1983-85 and from 1993 to the present day, excluding 1998.

It is worth noting that the 1998 Grand Prix at the Nurburgring was, like the 1997 version, designated the Luxembourg GP despite the lack of a European GP, and will be dealt with as such. It is also worth noting that the 2007 race at the Nurburgring is designated the European GP despite the lack of a German GP, due to the AvD claiming to own the moniker "Großer Preis von Deutschland" in a dispute with rival club ADAC.

So, after clarifying the European GP, here is the quiz...

1. What did the original standalone European GP replace on the F1 calendar?

It replaced a New York GP at Flushing Meadows
  2. Name the two non-European nationalities to produce European Grand Prix winners.

Brazil (Piquet, Senna, Barrichello, Massa) and Canada (Villeneuve)
  3. Which constructor twice sat on pole in the European GP but never won it?

Lotus in 1983 (de Angelis) and 1985 (Senna)
  4. The 1999 European GP is famous for the retirement of Luca Badoer from 4th position 13 laps from the end. Who inherited 4th position?

Ralf Schumacher, who had had a puncture when leading. He finished behind Herbert, Trulli and Barrichello.
  5. McLaren have won the European GP 4 times. Each time it has been won by a past or future World Champion, but never by that year's World Champion. They have 3 Fastest Laps, each by a past or future World Champion, but only one fastest lap was in their Championship year. Whose?

Mika Hakkinen (1999). The other fastest laps were Senna (1993) and Raikkonen (2003), the 4 winners were Prost (1984), Senna (1993), Hakkinen (1997) and Alonso (2007)
  6. Ayrton Senna did not lap the entire field in the 1993 European GP at Donnington. One driver just about remained unlapped. Who?

Damon Hill
  7. The 2007 European GP was famous for the aquaplaning cars at Turn 1 on lap 2 as Markus Winkelhock led the race. For 0.2 of a point each name the 5 drivers who retired.

Jenson Button, Adrian Sutil, Nico Rosberg, Scott Speed and Vitantonio Liuzzi
  8. This quiz now disownes that white box a little. THIS QUESTION IS ABOUT THE HONORARY EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX!

Who won the last two honorary European Grand Prix?

James Hunt (1976 Zandvoort, 1977 Silverstone)
  9. Only one driver led laps of both Luxembourg Grand Prix. Who?

Mika Hakkinen
  10. Back to the European GP, and at Valencia last year, who was the first person on the finishing line who finished in a different position to his grid slot?

Heikki Kovalainen (Q5, R4) because Kimi Raikkonen's engine went!

Thankyou, next week we all go for a Spa!

Only 3 for me.

I had a couple of lucky guesses and could have got 4 but couldn't remember the answer to the Senna, Donnington question and guessed the wrong team mate.

My score is 1.7

How, I hear you ask? I got half of Q2 correct, only 1/5th of Q7 correct and all of Q5* correct!

I only mildly support Britain's participation in Europe, which I think that is fairly represented in my score. :D

* just the name of the driver with the fastest lap in their Championship year. The other names can be found sailing swiftly over the top of my head!

Back
Top Bottom