THE BEST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lewis has said he is the best (excuse me for nearly choking on my coffee) . Quite clearly this idiot loves himself because if a seven times world champion has never said it, what MR HAMILTON needs to learn is some humility! self praise is no praise.

You obviously disagree with him but I don't think there's any need to call him an idiot.

I would like to try and keep this place free of the usual invective that pervades so many forums, if at all possible.

Okay no problem. After reading many an unsavoury comment regarding ferrari or max mosley, which to me is fair enough everyone entitled to their opinion you find it offensive when i remark Hamilton must be an idiot to refer to himself as the best when he has not won anything of note as yet, clearly a mclaren and Hamilton based site. I would very much appreciate if you removed all my articles and my membership details as clearly no negative comments on mclaren or Hamilton welcome here.

You have misunderstood me.

I have always said everyone is free to express their opinion.
It's just the manner in which that opinion is expressed.

Once insults and name-calling is introduced then in my experience the thread will just deteriorate with possible further repercussions.
Of course it's impossible for me to read and check every post so if anyone thinks someone has overstepped the mark in their comments then please click on the "Report this post" icon and I will check.

For what it's worth, I agree that some of the comments attributed to Lewis Hamilton don't do him any favours and he would do better to just keep his mouth shut at times.

It is of course your choice if you choose to no longer participate in the forum but it will be a shame to see you go.

goldmeerkat1 said:
Lewis has said he is the best (excuse me for nearly choking on my coffee) . Quite clearly this idiot loves himself because if a seven times world champion has never said it, what MR HAMILTON needs to learn is some humility! self praise is no praise.

You see, this isn't the other place, you'll need to back your statement up with quotes i.e where has Lewis Hamilton said he is the best? If you can provide a quote, a website, an article where this is the case then fine, but if you can't then why say it?

Currently if you discount people who started less than 6 grand prix then Lewis Hamilton is #8 in starts vs wins percentage which isn't at all bad in 2 seasons and oh look at the names he is up with. This percentage will go up or down the more races he does but as it stands he's in the top 10 of the greats, yes or no?

1 Juan Manuel Fangio 46.15%
2 Alberto Ascari 39.39%
3 Michael Schumacher 36.40%
4 Jim Clark 34.25%
5 Jackie Stewart 27.00%
6 Ayrton Senna 25.31%
7 Alain Prost 25.25%
8 Lewis Hamilton 25.00%

Hamilton's performance in GP2 in 2006 and F1 over the last two years clearly show that he is one of the best around at the moment.

I really don't get this "arrogant" thing that keeps coming up as a reason to "hate" him, or call him an idiot. All racing drivers are arrogant; some more obviously than others.

Schumacher was obnoxiously arrogant, even in his early days. In his Ferrari era he thought he deserved wins even when his team-mate had pulled over to let him pass. Senna was famous for it. "But I am Senna!" he once declared as an excuse for why he could behave differently to other drivers. It was this attitude that made them the Champions that they became. Hamilton would never have got this far without the same attitude.

I remember Ralf S constantly making the most ridiculous claims about his own ability, he also once said that he would not let anybody else overtake him again. Even at the end of his F1 career he was still claiming to be one of the fastest drivers despite seasons of evidence to the contrary. He sticks in my mind because I never had a high opinion of him, but there have been many other similar cases. Every single one of those backmarkers being outperformed by their own team-mate thinks that they could win the WDC in the right car.

It seems to me that there are three main groups of people complaining about Hamilton's arrogance. There's the hardcore Nando fans who are angry that Lewis showed up their man last season. There's a few hardcore Ferrari fans who hate Hamilton just like they hate Alonso, for challenging Ferrari. And then there's the racists, who say things like "Hamilton should know his place"; they're upset that one of the last strongholds of whites-only sport has been broken and he won't even toodle around at the back like a black man should!

goldmeerkat1 said:
Okay no problem. After reading many an unsavoury comment regarding ferrari or max mosley, which to me is fair enough everyone entitled to their opinion you find it offensive when i remark Hamilton must be an idiot to refer to himself as the best when he has not won anything of note as yet, clearly a mclaren and Hamilton based site. I would very much appreciate if you removed all my articles and my membership details as clearly no negative comments on mclaren or Hamilton welcome here.

With a response like this to a perfectly reasonable reply from the Site Admin I'm thinking that you may indeed find a happier home somewhere else. By the way, there are plenty of non-Hamilton/McLaren fans here and we all find it possible to have a reasoned, thoughtfully articulated and evidenced; civil debate. If that's not your bag then I hope you find another board where your enlightened musings might be more readily digestible.

Ta ta for now.

I think it's best if I close this thread now.

I would like to think that everyone is free to express their opinions, no matter how strong.
If we can all just do it in language which doesn't inflame or provoke and cause arguments then so much the better.

I would just like to reiterate though, if anyone feels a post does not comply with the general forum rules then please do report it.
It's in everyone's interests to keep the forum running as smoothly and harmonious as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom