The Battle of The Dad's 2011

RasputinLives

No passing through my dirty air please
Contributor
In case you haven't noticed since 2007 F1 has had a new competition running - how often can the 'proud parent' get themselves on camera. Points aren't just awarded for how often but also for style and content. This season in 2011 we have an almighty scrap for the title going on. Let me list some of the contender.

Anthony Hamilton:

Double Dad Champion(2007, 2008) Anthony Hamilton returns to the F1 Dad's fold after adopting Paul Di Resta. Many doubted he could return to the form of his title days but after seeing him there in the Force India garage, ear defenders on, cold steel stare pretending he doesn't know he's on camera it was like he'd never been away.

John 'Pinky' Button:

Easily took the title in 2009 and very nearly made it a double in 2010. Is the dad who has taken most advantage of the F1 Forum - not only utilising knowing Eddie Jordan to get screen time but also does a great job of being in the background during interviews with other drivers. Really showed the other dad's the way by adopting the easily recognisable standard shirt. Has been strangely quiet this season.

Alan Webber:

Came out of nowhere last year to take the 2010 Dad's championship and has already put in some good 'on the pit wall looking worried' performances this season. His son has been in F1 since 2002 but it was only when he started winning races that Alan decided to start coming. He may look like an accountant but boy does he know how to sqeeze into shot.

Norbert Vettel:

This years fave who despite not being able to speak english still got interviewed on the BBC F1 Forum. Now that Norbert is on the scence directors have an alternative to cut away too when Seb is leading and we don't always have to look at Christian Horners jiggling feet

Luiz Antonio Massa:

With his slight ressemblence to Mario the plumber Luiz Antonio is most famous for his aborted celebrations in Brazil 2008 but was that because Felipe failed to win the title or because he knew with Lewis winning he'd lose the Dad's title as Anthony Hamilton would make sure he was in the background of every shot of the title winner gurning? who knows. His career has kinda of faltered like his son's but still is the top dad in that Ferrari garage - not that thats difficult - are we even sure Alonso has a dad?

Оксана Косаченко:

Much to the annoyance of the other family members Okcaha has sneaked into the championship by pretending to be Vitaly Petrov's mum - actually his manager she thought she could be an awesome interloper this year when managing to get into nearly every shot during Petrov's podium celebration. She even continued this form with a 'oh my god I'm shocked' cut away when Petrov took off over that curb in Malaysia.

Rumours that Ross Brawn is officially adopting Michael Schumacher in order to compete in this competition are yet to be confirmed.

Have you seen a Dad(or an family member) sneaking into shot to take some limelight? Which one of them does the best 'I'm pretending I don't know the camera's are on me" look? and which one's do you find always fight their way to the front of the crowd during a podium?

ROFL

John Button in 2009 was a really stand out year. Unlike his son, who had to settle for half points in Malaysia, the dads championship awarded full points because it wasn't raining in the garage and, by Turkey, there was no surpassing him.

Here's one for the experts... Has there ever been another double WDDC title holder as A Hamilton? And on the same lines. What do you think the chances are of him taking a third title, with an adopted driver?

It has to be said McLaren garage time has been difficult for John Button to find with the winner of the World Annoying-but-Attractive Celebrity Girlfriend Championship distracting cameras nearby. Presumably why Anthony H moved to the Force.

This trend wasn't started by the Dad's but the TV coverage hogging Erja Hakkinen. I'm certain that on any given GP weekend she appeared on our screens for 63.29% of the race weekend. Mika could well of been carrying out the overtake of the season and we would have to stare at her mug instead.

This trend wasn't started by the Dad's but the TV coverage hogging Erja Hakkinen. I'm certain that on any given GP weekend she appeared on our screens for 63.29% of the race weekend. Mika could well of been carrying out the overtake of the season and we would have to stare at her mug instead.
Yes, I remember seeing endless shots of the wife or girlfriend - perhaps a cynical attempt to attract more female supporters?

...started by the Dad's but the TV coverage hogging Erja Hakkinen.

Are you confusing this with another championship? TBY was referring to the Annoying but Attractive Championship:dunno:

are we even sure Alonso has a dad?

Didn't Flava' Flavio attempt adoption, in an effort to net himself a dads championship, before being kicked out on the grounds of "bringing the sport into disrepuke"

article-0-021A8FAB00000578-579_468x554.jpg

Here's one for the experts... Has there ever been another double WDDC title holder as A Hamilton? And on the same lines. What do you think the chances are of him taking a third title, with an adopted driver?

I think Mr H (senior) is a sly old dog and will probably make it a third title just not this year. He's slowly working his way back in after losing all his connections when the coverage switched to BBC - whats the point in being matey with Mark Blundell now eh? - you watch when Di Resta gets that move to Merc, he'll be there gurning away.

I'd forgotten all about Erja actually but you are completely right that she was the pioneer of the girlfriend TV time - bet you couldn't pick Mansell or Prost's wife out in a line up! - However the sport of 'looking concerend whilst the cameras are on me' was started by the team managers. Frank Williams pretty much won every title in the 90's - having an awesome season in 1992 when he really was more interesting to look at than the racing.

Ron Dennis was also an expert at getting on TV and was the first to pioneer the 'interview during the race' technique - trying to convince the TV producers he'd give a nice juicy interview and give us some hot off the press information and then just giving a load of non-commital answers and boring us to death.

No prizes for guessing who the eventer of the sport was though - none other than the man himself Bernie Ecclestone! The ultimate at getting TV coverage for doing absolutely nothing.

Are you confusing this with another championship? TBY was referring to the Annoying but Attractive Championship:dunno:

Didn't Flava' Flavio attempt adoption, in an effort to net himself a dads championship, before being kicked out on the grounds of "bringing the sport into disrepuke"

article-0-021A8FAB00000578-579_468x554.jpg
"DISREPUKE?" Love it!!! LOL

The F1 WAGS are a long standing part of the sport - many of the wives in the 70's used to be part of the team, timing laps, keeping lap charts.

The F1 dads have annoyed the living crap out of me. I was pig sick of both the BBC and ITV interviewing Anthony Hamilton and John Button just because they could get and easy quote :givemestrength: Luckily the practice seems to have died down a little now and we just get the odd glimpse of them now, thank heavens.

Time for my lie down now >:(

Chalk a win up for Mr. Massa today.

With Felipe wrestling that Ferrari around in FP2, I'm sure we saw more of Luiz Antonio than Trulli and Karthikeyan combined.

The F1 WAGS are a long standing part of the sport - many of the wives in the 70's used to be part of the team, timing laps, keeping lap charts.

The F1 dads have annoyed the living crap out of me. I was pig sick of both the BBC and ITV interviewing Anthony Hamilton and John Button just because they could get and easy quote :givemestrength: Luckily the practice seems to have died down a little now and we just get the odd glimpse of them now, thank heavens.

Time for my lie down now >:(

I agree about the F1 dads, it gets really annoying, especially when Legard was commentating "THERE'S JOHN BUTTON'S DAD WITH HIS PINK SHIRT!" he could probably tell me John Button's life story if I asked! As if his commentating wasn't bad enough.

Wouldn't mind seeing these "F1 WAGS" though don't see much of them unfortunately :(, apart from the annoying pussycat doll that always seems to say "OH MA GAAAAAAD!!!"

Any thoughts on this weeks big winner? Saw a lot of Anthony Hamilton. I think there may be a protest though as the rules aren't clear on being father of 2 drivers.

We did learn that Sergio Perez's dad is friends with Eddie Jordan this weekend so watch out for a rookie style charge to the front the same as 'Checo' is doing.

I'm stunned Kobi's dad hasn't brought his Sushi business to the paddock as of yet - could see it going down a storm.

Back
Top Bottom