The 50 greatest Formula One drivers

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
According to Kevin Eason of The Times.

I don't know what criteria he's using to classify them but some of his choices are just odd.

He has updated his list after Button's last race and for some reason he now has him at position 16 in the list.

Last season Button was at number 41 and on the strength of a few decent drives this year he has jumped 25 places.
Proof, if ever it was needed, that these lists are pointless and meaningless.

The 50 greatest Formula One drivers: updated after Button's title triumph

I looked at the article and then wished I hadn't. Too much opinion and a complete lack of objectivity.

On whatever planet Kevin Eason inhabits, Jenson Button is a better driver than Lewis Hamilton who "In the best car of the past two years yet makes too many mistakes and is competing in, arguably, a Formula One field short of star talent". Really? This is a grid containing Kimi Raikkonen, Fernando Alonso, Jenson Button (whom Eason obviously rates very highly), Felipe Massa etc, etc. Also, do the statistics really bear out this rather bold statement? No, I don't think so - 51 race starts, 11 wins, 47 finishes, 3 retirements and 1 disqualification, hardly reckless and full of mistakes.

And, apparently, Jacques Villeneuve, Juan-Pablo Montoya and David Coulthard (Yes, DC himself, I kid you not) are all better than Ronnie Peterson.

I now have to go and sit in a darkened room...

I'm glad it's not just me.

As you say he seems to contradict himself concerning Lewis and Jenson.

Lewis' relatively low position is apparently due to the current lack of good drivers.
And yet Jenson has been vaulted a massive 25 places whilst competing with the same drivers as Lewis.
If the field is that lacking in talent then surely Jenson's win is a hollow one which therefore doesn't justify his 25 place climb?

It's simply a badly written biased opinion piece with no real basis in fact.

Jenson Button would not have won a race in this years MP4-24, so go figure.

I can't see how you could not find 17 drivers in the 60 years of F1 better than Button, with all due respect to the guy.

I'd also reckon Mr. Coulthard would find difficulty making it onto most people's lists.

Even Ed Gorman thinks it's rubbish.

Far be it for me to disagree with my predecessor as Times Motor Racing Correspondent Kevin Eason, but it is hard to understand how he can possibly place Jenson above Lewis in his ranking of British Formula One world champions published in today's paper.

I have no firm idea how the others should be ranked but on Hamilton vs Button, I feel I have a pretty good idea, having seen Hamilton's career in Formula One in its entirety and Button's since two races before his first win in Hungary in 2006. I would not put them too close and certainly not in the order Kevin has chosen.
Jenson ahead of Lewis? I don't think so

Jenson Button ahead of Jack Brabham

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Dosn't deserve any more comment than that !!!!

And then I went back and noticed this:

Sir Jack Brabham

On arrival in Britain, lucked into the all-conquering, rear-engined Cooper, which helped him sweep up two championships.

:givemestrength:

No more comment, I just can't sorry.

Cutting edge, thought-provoking journalism there.

Typical sensationalist stuff from under the Murdoch umbrella, appeasing the masses and incensing the minority to promote intrigue.

I wouldn't mind so much if Kevin Eason actually wanted to explain his opinion, but it seems to be based purely on :

A) One race, i.e, the most recent one ;

He remains supremely gifted, rarely making mistakes and capable – as he proved in Brazil to take the title – of breathtaking overtaking manoeuvres.

(Not to mention he can't spell 'maneuvers')

B) The idea that everyone likes him;

Sometimes he is too understated for his own good but he will be one of the most popular of champions among his peers in Formula One.

Not exactly stirring stuff, truth be told.

C_a_T said : Sir Jack Brabham
On arrival in Britain, lucked into the all-conquering, rear-engined Cooper, which helped him sweep up two championships.
:)

I think if anyone on this forum had produced a list of the 50 top drivers, no one would agree with it. Look at the disagreements in the top drivers of the last decade thread.

Bro, your the chart expert, could you not do your thing with your stats and see if they agree with Kevin Eason.

fedupwithuserids said:
Bro, your the chart expert, could you not do your thing with your stats and see if they agree with Kevin Eason.
We're doing it decade by decade as that seems the best way to do it.

Just waiting for the last race of this decade and a few more votes and then I'll compile the results.

Then we move on to the other decades.

Back
Top Bottom