The 2009 driver shuffle

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
It's getting close to that time again when rumours of drivers switching teams and new contracts start surfacing in the media.

What are peoples thoughts on the major changes for next year?

I expect McLaren will stay as is - I can't see Heikki or Lewis moving anytime soon.

For me the 3 big changes will centre around Robert Kubica, Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso.
But that will be dependent on what Kimi does - whether he actually retires as has been suggested several times in the past or whether he continues.

If he continues then he has already declared that he doesn't want to drive for anyone other than Ferrari so I can't see Alonso moving to them as that would mean 2 drivers in the same team with number 1 status and Ferrari always have a 1st and 2nd driver...

How about any new drivers entering for the 2009 season?
I expect David Coulthard will retire and possibly Rubens Barrichello?
So that will mean at least 1 and possibly 2 free seats?
Perhaps Anthony Davidson will return?

there was a similar question on 606 and i thought about replying, but probably would have started a flame was so left it.

First of all, a general comment. I think there is a much more serious issue right now: we are running low on teams! we lost Super Aguri, red Bull and maybe Renault are on a shoestring (eddie shoestring, my hero!). so we could be down to maybe 20 or less cars. F1 needs more then that.

And if this issue isn't solved then the driver shuffle is something else this year. Prodrive, Ultimate... not sure, not sure at all.

But ok, back to the driver shuffle. i think the biggest name shuffling could actually be Lewis Hamilton. If he goes on like this and doesn't pick up his driving fast then he might be in for a nasty surprise at the end of the season. Fourth or lower. And if that happens...

bogaTYR said:
First of all, a general comment. I think there is a much more serious issue right now: we are running low on teams! we lost Super Aguri, red Bull and maybe Renault are on a shoestring (eddie shoestring, my hero!). so we could be down to maybe 20 or less cars. F1 needs more then that.
Good point.
I meant to mention that but forgot whilst I was composing the post.
I blame my age lol

But ok, back to the driver shuffle. i think the biggest name shuffling could actually be Lewis Hamilton. If he goes on like this and doesn't pick up his driving fast then he might be in for a nasty surprise at the end of the season. Fourth or lower. And if that happens...
I just can't see that happening next year. It would reflect very badly on RD for one and he is out-scoring his team-mate by quite a bit at the moment.
If he has a poor finish this year and doesn't pick it up the following year then it's a real possibility.

i just have a bad feeling about LH and Mclaren...

But back to the original question, I think maybe we could see quite a few drivers retire... Trulli, Fisichella, Coulthard, Barrichello and maybe Kimi if he gets the WDC again. Plus we might get Prodrive. So back to 11 teams, 22 drivers and 5-6 open places. Sato will be one for sure, Davidson not too sure and I sure hope Ralf won't come back either. The only name that comes to mind right away is Robert Doornbos.

Also, I think Ferrari have already signed a driver for next year if KR retires. I remember Kimi himself was signed by Ferrari a long time before the rest of the world knew about it. That one will be fun. Otherwise, I don't foresee too many changes. Cos we have so many young drivers and they are still growing up so why should they change? Vettel, Sutil, Bourdais, Rosberg, Kubica. Even Piquet.

I see your point about LH but I just have a bad bad feeling about what's going on at Mclaren. Ron might retire and then what about LH if he doesn't get the WDC?

Teabag Yokel's "totally likely" :snigger: Driver Line-Up Change 2008-09

[*]Alonso to quit Renault to go back to McLaren
[*]Hamilton to quit McLaren to go to Honda
[*]Raikkonen & Massa both quit leaving Heidfeld & Button at Ferrari
[*]Villenuve re-signed by BMW Sauber in an emergency
[*]Renault sign Nelson Piquet Snr. to try and bring out the best in Junior
[*]Micheal Schumacher to form his own team and employ his brother to drive in it, other seat taken by JP Montoya, just to re-invent a successfull and friendly partnership
[*]Mark Webber joined by Nakajima at Red Bull
[*]Toyota invest wisely in bringing in Sutil
[*]Force India re-employ Markus Winkelhock
[*]And, and this may sound ridiculous compared to all that, Max Mosely to win a vote as head of FIA after being caught trousers-down by a tabloid...

hello people its my first post here, im an ex 606er

I think Kimi will still be at ferrari in 09
Alonso to either stay at renault, or move for big Bucks to Toyota
Sato to move back to Honda and Rubiniho to Retire
I have a suspicion that after way the BMW dealt with Villenuve that if Hiedfield doesn't find is form pronto he may get dumped, dunno who would replace him, Vettel perhaps, or go for experience, perhaps a suprise move or Couthard or Webber
Vettel to move to either Red Bull or BMW

Not strictly to do with the F1 merry Go round, but the F3 team Ultimate have been looking into buying Toro Rosso, if it happens for 09 that could throw the cat amonst the pigoens into who goes where in 09

Looks like my prediction that DC would retire at the end of this season may be correct.

There are rumours that he may announce it this weekend at the British GP.

DC going Oh no!!! that's it I quit!!!

Mind you .. there were rumours that he's swap with Piquet and Vettel after Monaco.

In my head I'd like him to go whilst he still has credibility ... but in my heart .... don't go DC <wah> sniffle sniffle

David Coulthard retiring.

Doctor Who regenerating.

All on the same weekend.

I smell a conspiracy!

DC as the new Doctor! (you heard it here first..!)

P.S. Sorry about the bad news Salti, with DC retiring. A good showing from RBR today and tomorrow, with DC on the podium at his last British GP would be nice...

Back
Top Bottom