FIA Technical Directive 15: Use of exhaust blown gasses to be restricted (or not, as the case may be)

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
I'm not entirely sure what this means, or what the implications are but...
BREAKING NEWS: McLaren engineer @RealSimonB says there will be no blowing off exhaust gases allowed off throttle this weekend #F1

http://twitter.com/#!/F1grid/status/70467631450304515

A follow up from Scarbs:
But I did hear a rumour about a limit on exhaust flow on the overrun to reduce the blown effect off throttle. Something like 10-15% of max

http://twitter.com/#!/ScarbsF1/status/70497583147134976

I'm going to wait for confirmation. It could certainly have a big impact - if true.

It'd be relatively easy to do via ecu settings wouldn't it?

I'd be far less sceptical if it was being banned from next season...

Apparently Technical Directive 15 was sent to all teams last week.

Exhaust blowing is no longer allowed.

I didn't realise the rules were allowed to be changed mid season in this manner, unless it was on safety grounds or due to a breach of the current rules?

I wonder if this is the FIAs way of pegging Red Bull back, considering they haven't been able to do it with the load test?

Won't Red Bull be most affected by this?

Apparently Technical Directive 15 was sent to all teams last week.

Exhaust blowing is no longer allowed.

I didn't realise the rules were allowed to be changed mid season in this manner, unless it was on safety grounds or due to a breach of the current rules?
Is that coming from Scarbs' twitter account? Because his source in his latest post seems to be a random poster on the Autosport forums, and that's hardly a reliable place of info. :dunno:

I'm seeing bits and pieces all over the place.

It could be a rumour, could be real.
Almost impossible to tell these days with Twitter.

Still, it gives us all something to speculate on and discuss ahead of the race :D

Also puts big question marks over teams that are currently developing flexi-wings if the FIA are liable to do this mid season, but then i guess they kind of did last year with the increase in load tests, although it lead to no failed tests or disciplinary...

Indeed it's fun to speculate and come up with some ridiculous ideas.. maybe somebody's cottoned onto what Red Bull are doing and is trying to level the playing field a little bit ;)

not that i'm really a fan of that happening, but if someone is breaking rules, someone's-a-gonna-get-it.

The fact that they have a quote from Ross Brawn and Christian Horner means it's true, surely?

Well, I will miss those engine sounds for one thing, you could always tell a McLaren from the rest with that sound through a slow corner. I'm not sure how I feel about it generally, on the one hand I am usually in favour of cutting downforce, but to do it now seems odd. If the motivation is for F1 to be "green" then that's a shame.

Christian Horner said:
It is inevitable and the unfortunate consequence of success.

Bitter much? LOL - I don't think it's been deliberately targeted at the Red Bulls because, as he says most teams are running it, however, maybe they are the team that has been able to exploit it the best - although the Ferrari did also sound chuffing awful on the over run at the last few races.

The drivers will now have to learn what the turbo boys did in the 80's and keep their foot on the throttle through the corners to keep the turbo spinning - perhaps not so easy without a foot operated clutch though.

From Autosport

This effectively means that any team found to be using off-throttle blown diffusers could be in breach of the famous Article 3.15 of the technical regulations that outlaws moveable aerodynamic devices.

Can someone tell me how an EBD constitutes a moveable aerodynamic device? What exactly is it moving? Air?

I would have thought it would be easier - left foot on the brake, right foot on the throttle - job done.

The drivers will now have to learn what the turbo boys did in the 80's and keep their foot on the throttle through the corners to keep the turbo spinning - perhaps not so easy without a foot operated clutch though.
Or they could just go back to the way they were driving before? :dunno:

I guess the next interesting thing to find out is whether or not a team went to the FIA about this or not. Seeing as they all use an EBD, I guess probably not.

Back
Top Bottom