Teams want to own the rights to F1

• Thread starter johnnoble1990
  • Start date
On RTL in the first part of the race they are full screen.During pit stops And the latter part of the race they leave a 1/4 screen picture of the race.
The others are full screen, and my local channel LNT frequently go to an add break immediately after the lights go out for the start,even before the first corner.
RTL have coverage very similair to the BBC except for FP 1 and 2 which they don't show.But they do cover many other events including the press reporters and commentators race, usually won by Christian Danner.
But on RTL Krombacher actually sponsor the entire weekend.

Luca has aired his opinions on the matter...

"I think we have to be very pragmatic. At the end of 2012, the contracts of every single team with CVC will expire. So, we have three alternatives," di Montezemolo said in an interview broadcast on CNN on Friday.

"We renew with CVC, or we theoretically -- as the basketball teams did in the U.S. with great success -- we create our own company, like the NBA. Just to run the races, the TV rights and so.

"And third, to find a different partner. Bernie Ecclestone did a very good job but he has already sold out three times, so he doesn't own the business anymore. It is CVC that will sell. It will be the teams' decisions.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91349

I read that earlier.But Luca is right.
If the teams do not sign up to the concorde agreement then those shares and CVC's owership of the commercial rights is virtually worthless.
They will own the commercial rights a series that has no cars to race.

Historically yes.But things are rather different now.FOTA has now been established long enough for the teams to have developed some trust in each other.
They also have a lot of time to plan and execute their own series.
Plus they may have financial backing and a ready made TV company to provide TV coverage.

FOTA has now been established long enough for the teams to have developed some trust in each other. They also have a lot of time to plan and execute their own series.
Plus they may have financial backing and a ready made TV company to provide TV coverage.
In Luca's mind maybe, but I still believe that most of the teams would think that a series within which Ferrari had even more influence and ability to throw their weight around, coupled with the prospect of a Murdoch-owned pay-per-view broadcasting regime, against which there is protection in the current Concorde, would be enough of a nightmare scenario that they would be queuing up at Bernie's door to sign the new agreement.

At least I hope so.

So do I.
But its not only Ferrari meeting with Murdoch.Other teams will be there as well.
Don't forget that Todt is not happy with the amount of money the FIA received from the commercial rights sale.

I wouldn't dismiss this lightly.

We've been here before, several times.
And FOTA is not the first incarnation of the teams supposedly working together.

I'm confident enough to predict that there will be lots of bluff and bluster right up to the deadline and then the teams will all meekly sign on the dotted line, just as they always do.

My my, Luca is getting bold in his old age, isn't he? Seems like he scents the possibilty that Ecclestone's reign is nearing its end, and fancies a role in his succession.
But if he thinks that Bernie doesn't 'own' F1 any more, perhaps he would do well to read this:
http://www.pitpass.com/43560-Exclusive-Why-Delta-Prefco-is-F1s-most-important-company
Particularly the part about Bernie's single share in Delat Prefco.

Never ceases to amaze:no:

The short response - What a contrived mess.

I'm confident enough to predict that there will be lots of bluff and bluster right up to the deadline and then the teams will all meekly sign on the dotted line, just as they always do.

Remember FOTA's breakaway in 2009? And the Donington Grand Prix in 2010? Etc.

Know that if you deal with corporates, sometimes you have to change your tactics - this will only be settled when it's settled and corporates don't keel over readily.

In theory the teams have the edge, as they are the show - but they, in turn, rely on the rights holder.

Personally, I would go with the teams eventually - perhaps a concerted "sod it" moment.

And so it begins...

The four biggest names in Formula One – Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Mercedes – will discuss the future of the sport in Stuttgart in a meeting which has the other competing teams looking on anxiously.
[...]
However, the threat of the big four running the show themselves has got many of the smaller teams worried. One team principal – who did not want to be named – said: "The most important thing we do now is to stick together. We had a Fota [Formula One Teams' Association] meeting in Istanbul on Sunday and there was unprecedented unity among all 11 teams." Hispania Racing Team is not a member of Fota.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/may/13/formula-one-ownership-talks

What we all know is that power corrupts , absolute power corrupts absolutely and "Murdoch" translated into German is "flesh eating bug".

However what we often forget is that a little power makes fools of us all.

Bernie says some of the teams are colluding to buy control of F1 away from CVC. I think it might stand a better chance this time because CVC reckon they have milked this cow dry. I don't know how they could balance the conflict of interest that naturally will occur where regulations are concerned, but F1 long has needed governance whose overarching concern was the health of the sport, and I think the teams themselves are the last best chance to make this happen.

It would be a pleasure to see Ferrari put its money where its mouth has been for all these years. CVC's share in the sport is only about £2b, and Mateschitz could raise that much just searching between the cushions of the chesterfield in his downstairs smoking parlour.

Back
Top Bottom