Team Mate Battles 2014

I would take Alonso's musing with a pinch of salt Il_leone #teammatemindgames.

Was even commented on by Brundle on the Sky commentary on Sunday.

Il_leone Raikkonen didn't just become world champ because Massa moved over at the last race! There were quite a few races before that too, and moving over for a team-mate who's going for the title is and always was part of the sport.
If you look back at the sport's history then you might well find that the list of champions who benefited from team-mates moving over or not challenging their title-contending team-mates at one point or other in their title-winning year would easily run into double-figures.

I think it should be noted Raikkonen only became world champ because Massa moved over....I find it interesting to hear how Alonso seems to think Massa is just as good if not better than Raikkonen.

Massa didn't move over, Raikkonen was fueled heavier for his stops as he usually did back then and got the jump on him.

Having rewatched the race again, Massa tried his hardest to get back out infront of Raikkonen by going purple on the inlap and out lap and then chasing him to the flag when there was no threat from behind, since Alonso was 30s + adrift.

Slyboogy

If Massa overtook Kimi and won the race I don't think the whole of Brazil would have cared anyway

Massa gave chase but he did not try and pull alongside or gesture he wanted to pass... obviously if Kimi spun or his car broke down

It would not be Massa's fault unless some quarters would suggest Felipe jeopardised the team's position by over pushing but then I think Todt was more in Massa's corner and it was Luca who needed Raikkonen to succeed to justify hiring him

Your point is still invalid then. You said Massa moved over for Raikkonen

It was Todt who hired Raikkonen while di Montezemelo wanted Alonso, so I'm not sure I get the last part of your post.

Slyboogy TOdt hired Raikkonen because Luca forced him to do it

Todt wanted Alonso but Fernando turned him down back in 2000 and vowed never to sign him as long as he is in charge because Fernando saw that he would be Schumacher's lackey if he did sign

Luca had in mind that signing Raikkonen to replace Schumacher because he was thinking about MS was getting on a bit and someone need to lead the team and clearly he did not rate Massa as a top driver

He had it planned in 2005

Back
Top Bottom