Standing Restarts

Jos the Boss

Champion Elect
After the Monaco GP restart seeing Button get left behind and the fantastic battle ruined I thought that for the re-start it should be more exciting, so I think they should line up on the grid slot of the position they're in and have a standing start like at the start. It would make things more interesting and spice up the action as everyone would have an equal chance. Of course only after red flags!
I don't see how it could go wrong and before red flags there is usually a safety car, so let some overtaking under the SC to get back in position,
Do you think this could work? Or is it as much nonsense as Bernie's sprinkler idea

In an ideal World there would be no Safety Car. If the circuit was deemed unsafe then the race would be neutralized by a Red Flag. They would then line up in the order of the previous lap and start the race again from the grid. Aggregate Time would be used and Murray Walker would remain perpetually confused. 8-)

I think it would be a bit harsh. Imagine if someone was nearly a lap ahead, when with 10 laps to go, a red flag comes out and a grid is formed. He then proceeds to stall on the grid and his race, after completely blitzing the field, is ruined.

What do you mean by an aggregate system?

Something like, the times are stopped at the red flag, and then continued when the lights go out.
I think that would be confusing to watch.
And, to the viewer in the grandstand and at home, the race could be devoid of action and incident. Is that why they ended it (aggregate timing)?

Or you could restart the race from the pitlane with the timedifferences when the race was stopped. I.e nr. 2nd is 4 seconds behind the leader at the red flag. At the restart he starts 4 seconds later.

Or you could restart the race from the pitlane with the timedifferences when the race was stopped. I.e nr. 2nd is 4 seconds behind the leader at the red flag. At the restart he starts 4 seconds later.

That is far too logical and sensible. As long as no work could be done on the cars it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom