Sprint Racing

I'm sorry, but what is the point of a reverse grid sprint race? Just entertainment? So the drivers won't get any points for the championship, but they do risk damaging their cars and themselves for, basically, no reason. I can't imagine there will be much motivation to actually try and race at any point.

And we keep tyre blankets for why? Oh it's so unsafe if we have to driver without the tyres being warmed up. Blah, blah, blah. Or you could use your skill as a driver to make the car work until the tyres are up to temperature. Heaven forbid the drivers should have to show any skill.

i would defend reverse grid FB in like everything it deserves to be given ago in for me reverse championship order. because the best reverse grid was Brazil when you had Hamilton out of position coming up. & isnt the reason for these sprints is to show F1 at its best. to show how entertaining the sport can be. like cricket where you watch T20 or hundred, then its a gateway into test cricket. you might not no but this reverse grid hasnt come from Liberty media. it came from Carlos Sainz & he according to reports he had all the drivers support bar 1

although i agree on tyre blankets it is a strange 1 that F1 is the only motorsport that uses them Le mans & indycar dont have any issues. so surely the technolgy is available

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
appartantly according to Andrew Benson in 2024 we will have a return to GP qualifying & Race going back to there traditional times of saturday afternoon & sunday Afternoon. with the sprint races taking place on friday afternoon & sprint race on saturday morning

1700832998083.png

Reverse grid is just mindless gimmickry.

Just sack them off and bring back single session qualifying if you want spectacle and mixed grids. Yes, we'll sit around looking at an empty track for 45 minutes most Saturdays, but it will be 15 minutes of pure talent entertainment. How much better and honest is that, as a sporting event?

F1Brits_90, I couldn't give a monkey's whether it was suggested by Carlos Sainz, Liberty Media, or Boutros Boutros-Ghali, it's a stupid idea. Your example of Hamilton in Brazil is not really relevant as he was racing for points. The proposal is for the sprint race to not be worth any points. If I were running a team I'd simply refuse to take part. Why risk your driver, or having to pay lots of money to rebuild a car, for a (genuinely) pointless race.

And then, of course, at each sprint race weekend there is only one practice session which means if you take a wrong turn on the car set up you are bollocksed for the whole weekend. Witness Aston Martin in Austin. This, again plays in to the hands of the wealthiest teams who spend hours and hours in their simulators perfecting every detail.

There must be a mechanism created bring the teams closer to one another during the season should one team start to dominate. The sport has long since stopped being a testing ground for developing motor cars, so let's recognise that basic fact and admit it is now entertainment. And also recognise that the entertainment at an F1 race takes place on the track, not with a circus or pop concert organised around it.

WEC change the energy available if one teams starts to dominate. BTCC add ballast to wining cars to slow them down a bit. I'm pretty sure F1 can come up with something, but then, of course, the team currently winning will veto it.

Last edited:
Your example of Hamilton in Brazil is not really relevant as he was racing for points. The proposal is for the sprint race to not be worth any points. If I were running a team I'd simply refuse to take part. Why risk your driver, or having to pay lots of money to rebuild a car, for a (genuinely) pointless race.

it was a different scenario but it was entertaining. seeing him pulled off some cracking overtakes. & i think it at least deserves a 1 off attempt. i think they are covered under the budget cap already for sprints. i think you underestimate the competiveness of sportsman, they want to win any & every race. verstappen has said as much when he was asked if he would take the foot off the pedal. & he said he as motivated for last race as he was for 1st race. take 2005 Japanese GP. Kimi wasnt taking it easy thinking its a dead rubber, what's the point ive already lost the championship to alonso. he hunted down fisichella on the last lap for the victory

There must be a mechanism created bring the teams closer to one another during the season should one team start to dominate. The sport has long since stopped being a testing ground for developing motor cars, so let's recognise that basic fact and admit it is now entertainment. And also recognise that the entertainment at an F1 race takes place on the track, not with a circus or pop concert organised around it.

they do the better you were the previous season the less development time you have. which should give the lesser teams time to catch up. if you discard red bull which is a genius designer & driver on top form. it shows it is closing the gap. we far more variety than seen in F1. 5 different winners in 5 different teams winning in 6 races
Perez wins Miami
Alonso wins Monaco & Canada
Lewis wins Spain
Leclerc wins Austria
Norris wins Britain

And then, of course, at each sprint race weekend there is only one practice session which means if you take a wrong turn on the car set up you are bollocksed for the whole weekend. Witness Aston Martin in Austin. This, again plays in to the hands of the wealthiest teams who spend hours and hours in their simulators perfecting every detail.
that is an issue because hamilton suffered badly from it, got him disqualified in austin & then have deal with a dog of a car in interlagos. maybe on sprint weekends extend it to 1 90 min session

I'm sorry, but what is the point of a reverse grid sprint race? Just entertainment? So the drivers won't get any points for the championship, but they do risk damaging their cars and themselves for, basically, no reason. I can't imagine there will be much motivation to actually try and race at any point.

And we keep tyre blankets for why? Oh it's so unsafe if we have to driver without the tyres being warmed up. Blah, blah, blah. Or you could use your skill as a driver to make the car work until the tyres are up to temperature. Heaven forbid the drivers should have to show any skill.
So true mate.

Every time there's something where the driver has to drive they chuck it out. Sprints were supposed to be an alternative to qualifying but they dropped that. We had the driver radio trouble a few years back where it turns out that drivers can't manage without precise team instructions every 30 seconds.

This constant allowing the teams to dictate their terms to allow any change is killing any meagre efforts by the show organisors to improve things.

Kimi wasnt taking it easy thinking its a dead rubber, what's the point ive already lost the championship to alonso. he hunted down fisichella on the last lap for the victory
You're wrong there, it wasn't a dead rubber for McLaren. The Constructors standings after Brazil and before Japan were McLaren 1st on 164 and Renault 2nd on 162. After Japan, despite Kimi's win the situation had reveresed with Renault 1st on 176 and McLaren 2nd on 174.

As FB has said, you can't compare them like for like. As shown above, winning very much had a point for Kimi in terms of points for his team.

It doesn't matter how you slice the cake, a sprint race reverse grid or not, that serves no other purpose than as a sideshow, is not worth a thing. What's the point of hammering your car for no reward when you get a 10 place grid drop for changing a part? The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

They gong to abandon the idea of using cars and qualification will be decided by an actual sprint race between drivers?

I'd pay to see that.
The real plan is that they're going to introduce sprint races at the circuits where it's hardest to overtake (e.g. Monaco, Hungaroring), and then will bring 20 identical Formula Ford cars.

The cars will then race flat-out for 25 laps. The winner at each sprint event will be presented with a prize, of a Ford Fiesta...

Gets my vote.

Could you imagine that though. Qualification to take place in 20 identical Formula Ford Cars. Each car is drawn by lot in reverse championship order. Drivers then get the first 15 minutes of the qualification session to get to grips with their car. They then have 15 further minutes to play with the set up followed by a 30 minute free for all qualification session.

That would sort the men from the boys.

It doesn't matter how you slice the cake, a sprint race reverse grid or not, that serves no other purpose than as a sideshow, is not worth a thing. What's the point of hammering your car for no reward when you get a 10 place grid drop for changing a part? The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

but i think its all about getting new viewers into the sport & trying to show the sport at its best. which F1 isnt great at currently doing coming off its worst season for 20 years

Gets my vote.

Could you imagine that though. Qualification to take place in 20 identical Formula Ford Cars. Each car is drawn by lot in reverse championship order. Drivers then get the first 15 minutes of the qualificaiton session to get to grips with their car. They then have 15 further minutes to play with the set up followed by a 30 minute free for all qualification session.

That would sort the men from the boys.
i love that idea, i dont get why more drivers like vettel did, dont go to the race of champions. every driver that goes says how much fun they have

but i think its all about getting new viewers into the sport & trying to show the sport at its best. which F1 isnt great at currently doing coming off its worst season for 20 years
In that case, why not run the sprints as a young driver series. Each team puts up one young driver in one car. 10 cars on the grid. Reverse order of where they sit in tne constructors championsip. The winning driver gets a half a million dollars prize money.

It would act as a shop window for young drivers. Provide a serious incentive to race and at least be useful.

Its a pointless argument anyway. The sport is 100 percent guarenteed to do the wrong thing whatever we think. (As already demonstrated by that absolute **** Horner who, when asked for his opinion on turning the sprint races into a seperate sprint championship, stated "who wants to watch that?")

n that case, why not run the sprints as a young driver series. Each team puts up one young driver in one car. 10 cars on the grid. Reverse order of where they sit in tne constructors championsip. The winning driver gets a half a million dollars prize money.

It would act as a shop window for young drivers. Provide a serious incentive to race and at least be useful.
thats an idea i have been in favour of, because there is a lack of opportunities for drivers to shine with the lack of seats. because their unknown quanties team would rather take experience, ie Hulkenburg over the reigning F2 champion & it woukld a good way to find the next generation of drivers & plug that gap of their development when they go from F2 to F1.

maybe the piastri scandal doesnt happen with this series, & id love to see Pourchaire, Lawson, Doohan, Iwasa, Drugovich, Swartzmann, Bearman, O'Ward, Vesti fighting each other in F1 cars & maybe the smaller teams would finally take punt of these drivers who are more than good enough

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Since they abandoned the original concept of sprint races sorting out the qualifying for the main GP race, the whole thing is utterly irrelevant.

It makes some race weekends worth more than others for no apparent reason.

If we have to have these 6 sprint races then at least make it a stand alone sprint races championship.

Back
Top Bottom