Spa, France, Spain and FOM's tangled web

Spa and the french gp may be rotating but thats about it!

Spa shouldn't be on the calendar on a rotating basis with France, but on the schedule every year. This race is probably the one of the most popular amongst fans all throughout the world, and Bernie and the organization who hold F1 commercial rights should be made to understand. As Jos the Bos said, get rid of Valencia, and let's bring back France on the calendar.

The problem with Spa is that the race loses pots of money every year. Despite so many people saying that it is the best circuit the attendance is not one of the highest.

The local topography plays a part in the attendance issues. Plus Belgium isn't the biggest car market in the world either.

I still think it's a shame though. F1 increasingly exists only for the TV viewer, the fan at the circuit is parting with more and more money while only the Paddock Club members see an improvement in facilities. So in that context (it puts on a better show for TV than most circuits) it's a pity the ambition to build a bigger TV audience long-term doesn't outweigh the short-term desire for a bigger circuit fee.

The local topography plays a part in the attendance issues. Plus Belgium isn't the biggest car market in the world either.

I still think it's a shame though. F1 increasingly exists only for the TV viewer, the fan at the circuit is parting with more and more money while only the Paddock Club members see an improvement in facilities. So in that context (it puts on a better show for TV than most circuits) it's a pity the ambition to build a bigger TV audience long-term doesn't outweigh the short-term desire for a bigger circuit fee.

The facilities for the fans are poor at Spa, largely due to the topography. Sliding down a hill in the mud is not a happy experience and it can be hard work walking up and down the hills. The grandstands are expensive as well. One good point is that the gents toilets are immense, the ladies toilets are few and far between.

It is a shame because it is in Belgium, close to Holland, Germany and France with a not too difficult car journey from the UK. And we all love it.

I think they'll loose viewers by going to sky... bigtime! Spa should definately stay and Valencia and catalunya can go. If Spain still want a race they can have Jerez.

But as I've menyioned before Racecub, FOM doesn't get the revenue from the Spanish TV companies this goes to a certain F Briatore c/o Loftus Road (Home of the rich and famous). So Bernie's not going to shaft his mate who's making a nice little turn on there being two races in Spain and as long as the two current circuits cough up FOM's fees the races are going nowhere.

Let's see if Spain's current economic problems have an effect. There were protest at the cost of the Pope's visit, wonder if anyone has seen how much FOM sucks out of the Spanish economy.

:oSo theres two rubbish races in Spain so Briatore can make more money?:no:How does Bernie get away with all these corrupt things he does??

But as I've menyioned before Racecub, FOM doesn't get the revenue from the Spanish TV companies this goes to a certain F Briatore c/o Loftus Road (Home of the rich and famous).

BE and FB sold QPR today.

So Bernie's not going to shaft his mate

Shouldn't there be a smiley there? BE would shaft himself if it made him money.

who's making a nice little turn on there being two races in Spain and as long as the two current circuits cough up FOM's fees the races are going nowhere.

Alas, only too true.

Let's see if Spain's current economic problems have an effect. There were protest at the cost of the Pope's visit, wonder if anyone has seen how much FOM sucks out of the Spanish economy.

When we were there early June the local english-speaking paper was saying that the Spanish thought that they were going to do extra well this year due to the problems in North Africa. It doesn't sound as that is happening though.

:oSo theres two rubbish races in Spain so Briatore can make more money?:no:How does Bernie get away with all these corrupt things he does??

Fabio took over the rights to the TV in Spain as FOM made no money on the Spanish rights before one F Alonso esq happened along (managed by Flavio, of course). I think Bernie got rid simply because he didn't make anything so there was no point in having lengthy negotiations for a paulty sum and no audience. Fernando obvioulsy changed that.

One could suggest it's corrupt, another interpretation would be that Flavio took a risk that his young Spanish driver would turn things around and make F1 popular with TV viewers. Turns out he was right...

Money talks unfortunately
It doesn't so much talk as have it's own specific gravity - the more money that accumulates in one place, the more money is gravitically attracted to it, therefore forming a self-perpetuating event horizon, beyond which it is impossible to extract so much as a fiver.

This explains how money magically seems to fly away from those who have little, and how it just seems to multiply in the coffers of the wealthy...:yes:

Fabio took over the rights to the TV in Spain as FOM made no money on the Spanish rights before one F Alonso esq happened along (managed by Flavio, of course). I think Bernie got rid simply because he didn't make anything so there was no point in having lengthy negotiations for a paulty sum and no audience. Fernando obvioulsy changed that.

One could suggest it's corrupt, another interpretation would be that Flavio took a risk that his young Spanish driver would turn things around and make F1 popular with TV viewers. Turns out he was right...

But Bernie allowing two races in Spain to help his mate out is a bit dodgey. Specially if Spa has to suffer!

Back
Top Bottom