Site Suggestions & Updates

With the move to the new server, there is a new option available when searching.

At the bottom of the page you can now select results to be returned by Relevance, as well as Most Recent and Most Replies.

The new search also supports stemming, so a search for test will also return tests and tested.

You should also notice a significant improvement in the speed of any returned results.

http://cliptheapex.com/search/?type=post

The home page standings tables have been changed from the Google API to standard CSS/HTML.

The reason for this is that particular piece of code was adding a relatively considerable amount of time to the page loading speed, which has an impact on SEO, user perception, etc.

So although the paging functionality has been lost, all of the drivers are now visible as they have been split into two sets of columns.

Can we have a calendar which can intergrate birthdays and races? I already planned the background, team every month! Ferrari December cus they're red!

For the driver standings on the home page could the line between first driver points and second driver position be a bit thicker? Currently they look likee they are related data.

TBH - I think Bernd Maylander deserves a page of his own. Been the safety car driver at all the races that follow F1 around must be a tiring job if your out there all the time. I wonder how many laps he's led an F1 race for!

tooncheese I'll try out a fee things and see if I can improve the layout - the CSS is used elsewhere so changing the border width isn't really an option.

HammydiRestarules We used to have standings for all the major series at one point but it was a lot of work to maintain. I personally don't have the time to add something like that at the moment.

Anyone is always free to post anything they like in the general motorsport forum though.

Brogan

Cheers for the response. I might do a stats thing on the General motorsports thing then for them three as i've found a nice little website with stats on it. Probs won't finish it until next weekend though, looking after my sister with autism for the week while mams away with dad.

The FF1 pages are basic HTML so it would just mean adding the relevant <a href> code to each member name.

However, it would be too much work to add that manually so I'm afraid I'll have to say no.

When we look at developing the FF1 application we can implement something like that.

Ok here goes. 2 points. Bit picky this, you have been warned.

For the sake of this post a 'Thread' is an article with many replies in the form of 'posts'
'Posts' are replies to 'Threads'

1st point

Click on 'Latest Threads' and you are taken to 'Recent threads' these are actually showing recent/latest 'posts' not 'threads'

Click on 'Whats new' and you are taken to 'New threads' No idea how this works seems to show some new 'posts' but not all. Does not show only new 'threads' as suggested by the title.

Whats new, New threads, Latest threads and Recent threads all sound like the same thing to me.

I'm sure Im not the only one that finds this confusing.

Suggestion ..

1) Link for 'latest threads' be renamed 'latest posts' and takes you to 'latest posts' page showing all the latest posts for all threads.

2) Link for 'whats new' is renamed as 'New threads' and takes you to a 'new threads' page showing all new 'threads'

2nd point.

It would be useful if a user could view their own 'Threads' all in one place without having to search through all there hundreds of 'posts'

Cheers. :thumbsup:

What's New shows new posts you haven't read.

There is also a link on that page to show all recent posts, including those you have read, over on the right.
The Latest Threads link in the nav bar does the same thing.

You can view all of the threads you have started from your profile - click on the Postings tab and then "Find all threads by..." at the bottom.

Ok. so revised suggestions.

Point 1
1) 'Whats new' to take you to a page called 'My unread posts' ? If you have to explain it then its not clear.
2) Sticking to my guns with 'Latest threads' in the nav bar to be changed to 'latest posts' and for the page to say 'latest posts' as well.
3) I would find a 'latest threads' link a useful addition to the nav bar that showed 'threads' rather than 'posts'

Point 2
Ok cheers, bit hidden away, but just what I was after.
Maybe change the drop down user menu.
Change 'your content' to 'your posts' and add another list item for 'your threads'

Sorry, but I won't be making those changes as that is how the software is coded and you're the only person to complain about it in 16 months.

Besides which, those links display new threads and posts, so if we were going for accuracy, we'd have to include both words in the phrases.

I agree with you Greenlantern101 as I am a stickler for semantics. I've been using the site long enough to have grown blind to the misleading terminology that you refer to, though.

The interesting thing about the practice of user-experience is that solutions don't often come by consumer demand. People often do not know what they want until it is given to them.

Sir Henry Ford once said: "If I asked the people what they wanted, they would have told me that they would like a faster horse".

Back
Top Bottom