Silly Sweepstakes--British GP

Matthew Little

Points Scorer
From the beautiful shores of Valencia the stars of Formula 1 now head for the Silverstone Circuit and the British Grand Prix. Having had to remind myself, "they drive on WHAT SIDE of the road?" on the way to Silverstone, it is now time to decide what the silly sweepstakes for this GP will be.....................

*Thinks of several ideas, then File 13's each of them...........come to think, none of my Velo City Stories were this hard to write........... ;) .......* Ahh, I know........

Anyway, I'm going to take a page from Brogan for this go-round......................
What will the total be of both the finishing and fastest lap positions for the following drivers: Alonso, Webber, Sutil and Button?

For example..............
---Finishing position(Alonso-2, Webber-5, Sutil-11, Button-3)
---Fast Lap position(Alonso-3, Webber-2, Sutil-5, Button-6)
---Total: 37

Highest number CLOSEST to the actual result wins this round. :)

Matthew Little said:
Having had to remind myself, "they drive on WHAT SIDE of the road?" on the way to Silverstone

I think the answer your looking for there is "the correct side of the road" mate ;)

Hmmm, so Alonso, Webber, Sutil, Button...

Finishing positions: FA-5, MW-2, AS-12, JB-4 = 23
Fast Lap Qualification: FA-4, MW-3, AS-8, JB-2= 17
So i guess that makes my answer 40 :)

For finishing I'm going:

Alonso - 5
Webber - 4
Sutil - 7
Button - 3

For fastest laps I'm going:

Alonso - 5
Webber - 2
Sutil - 8
Button - 4

Making a grand total of - 38

Finishing Positions: FA - 5, MW - 2, AS - 8, JB - 1
Fastest Lap: FA - 6, MW - 1, AS - 10, JB - 4

So total = 37

Do we get a bonus if we get the exact predictions correct and not just the total? :D

Okay 10/1/9/3 & 5/3/7/4 for me which is a grand total of 42. Given this is the answer to life, universe and everything it had better be right.

BTW Matthew, you can blame the French for the fact that you drive on the wrong side of the road. Like so many things in this world...

Brogan said:
Don't they drive on the right side of the road in the US? :D

Yes, we do drive on the right side of the road here in the 'States..........although, depending on what part of the country you're traveling through that can be a debatable question......... :o :o :o

Just to explain, for those that don't know the story. In days of yore knights on horse back passed each other traveling on the left as this meant they could draw their swords and fight if they came across an enemy (as 90% of people are right handed).

After the French Revolution the French decided as they now lived in the land of Liberte, Egality, Fraternity and Escargot (or what ever the expression is) they would no long be fighting on the roads and instructed everyone to travel on the right. However, French trains travel on the left as their rail network was built by British engineers (not sure about American trains).

I was going to say the er. 'right side of the road' caught myself just in time and changed it to 'correct' just in time ;)

I'm gambling that one of these 4 will fail to finish, and Webber has been nominated -

Finishing position (Alonso-3, Webber-14, Sutil-8, Button-2)
Fast Lap position (Alonso-4, Webber-5, Sutil-11, Button-3)
Total: 50

Finish positions:

Alonso - 3
Webber - 19
Sutil - 9
Button - 1

Fastest laps:

Alonso - 3
Webber - 4
Sutil - 9
Button - 1

Grand total: 49

Both my prediction and Silly Sweepstake nominations run to a similar theme. Unfortunately, both Red Bulls encounter problems early and don't finish. Shame, really.. And all my Fantasy F! League drivers seem to do well... :whistle:

Finishing Positions.............
--Alonso: 3
--Webber: 4
--Sutil: 7
--Button: 6

Fast Lap Positions...............
--Alonso: 5
--Webber: 2
--Sutil: 9
--Button: 3

Total: 39

8-) :goodday:

Don't think it's gone yet, so I'll go for 44

FB said:
Just to explain, for those that don't know the story. In days of yore knights on horse back passed each other traveling on the left as this meant they could draw their swords and fight if they came across an enemy (as 90% of people are right handed).

After the French Revolution the French decided as they now lived in the land of Liberte, Egality, Fraternity and Escargot (or what ever the expression is) they would no long be fighting on the roads and instructed everyone to travel on the right. However, French trains travel on the left as their rail network was built by British engineers (not sure about American trains).

I've heard that too, the extra bits I got was that Napoleon was left handed which is why he decreed they should travel on the right...

With cars it was pretty flexible, no-one really set a hard and fast rule, whilst Britain was tending towards the left and France towards the right as per the horseback rule Henry Ford, as part of mass production and car format change (two seat at the front) decided to go for left hand drive, the rest, as they say, is conjecture...

Finishing

Button....3
Alonso....4
Webber...5
Sutil.......11

Fastest Lap

Button....3
Alonso....9
Webber...4
Sutil.......8

Hummm 47 it is then

In Matthew's absence, I make the results: