Rookie and Sophomore Championship 2016

RasputinLives

No passing through my dirty air please
Contributor
So for the last few years I've been running the rookie championship here on CTA but I have been musing over adding a Sophomore championship into the mix as well. Given the interesting crop of Sophomores we have this year I thought now would be the best time to do it. I will run the rookie championship alongside but given the runners this year I do think we'll be able to judge how well the rookies do this year if they are in the mix with the sophomores. So for 2016 I'll run a joint championship.

So how is the Rookie/Sophomore Championship going to work? Well any driver who has competed in 5 races or less before the start of the 2016 season is eligible as a rookie. Any driver who has competed in 25 or less before the start of the 2016 season is eligible as a Sophomore. So who are our runners and riders?

Rookies:

Jolyon Palmer
Pascal Wehrelin
Rio Hayranto

Sophomores:
Max Verstappen
Carlos Sainz
Felipe Nasr
Kevin Magnussen

Obviously if other drivers meeting the criteria come in at a later point they will be eligible too. In each qualifying session and race they will be ranked in their result order and allocated points. There will be a qualifying championship, a race championship and an overall championship with the title of Rookie/Sophomore Champion going to the overall winner. I'll also run a Rookie Championship alongside this using the same scoring system but only classifying the rookies.

Scoring wise we'll be using the good old 10-6-4-3-2-1 system. Importantly a driver has to be a classified finisher to score points in the race and set a time to score points in qualifying. Now I realise there is a slight flaw in this on deciding who the best of this bunch by the fact that due to different car performances they won't be even. I think we all know the Toro Rosso is in far better shape than the Renault, Manor, and Sauber. I still think the system has merit and certainly with the Verstappen/Sainz battle being a big talking point at the moment its a great way to judge who is having the better season.

I imagine most of the money for this one will be on Max Verstappen but I wouldn't count out Sainz and the Renault boys. Nasr had a great run last year but I don't think his Sauber is up to it this year. As for the Manor boys - I really have no idea how they'll do?

Any thoughts on how this one will turn out?

Results from Australia 2016

Quali

1 - Verstappen - 10pts
2 - Sainz - 6pts
3 - Palmer - 4pts (10pts for RC)
4 - Magnussen - 3pts
5 - Nasr - 2pts
6 - Haryanto - 1pts (6pts for RC)
7 - Wehrelin - 0pts (4pts for RC)

Race

1 - Sainz - 10pts
2 - Verstappen - 6pts
3 - Palmer - 4pts (10pts for RC)
4 - Magnussen - 3pts
5 - Nasr - 2pts
6 - Wehrelin - 1pt (6pts for RC)
DNF - Haryanto

Rookie/Sophomore Overall Championship

1 - Sainz - 16ts
2 - Verstappen - 16pts
3 - Palmer - 8pts
4 - Magnussen - 6pts
5 - Nasr - 4pts
6 - Wehrelin - 1pt
7 - Haryanto - 1pts

Rookie Championship

1 - Palmer - 20pts
2 - Wehrelin - 10pts
3 - Haryanto - 6pts

Ok so Bahrain saw another double win for Max and Carlos take yet more pain through no fault of his own. Vandorne jumped into the mix with what looks like his only appearance of the season and with Wehrlain's form its starting to look less like a forgone conclusion for the rookie title.

Results for Bahrain 2016.

Quali:

1 - Verstappen - 10pts
2 - Sainz - 6pts
3 - Vandoorne - 4pts (R = 10pts)
4 - Wehrlain - 3pts (R = 6pts)
5 - Magnusen - 2pts
6 - Palmer - 1pt (R = 4pts)
7 - Haryanto - 0pt (R = 3pts)
8 - Nasr - 0pt

Race:

1 - Verstappen - 10pts
2 - Vandoorne - 6pts (R = 10pts)
3 - Magnusen - 4pts
4 - Wehrlein - 3pts (R = 6pts)
5 - Nasr - 2pts
6 - Haryanto - 1pts (R = 4pts)
DNF - Sainz
DNF - Palmer.

Rookie/Softmere Quali Championship:

1 - Verstappen - 20pts
2 - Sainz - 12pts
3 - Magnusen - 5pts
4 - Palmer - 5pts
5 - Vandoorne - 4pts
6 - Wehrlein - 3pts
7 - Haryanto - 2pts
8 - Nasr - 2pts

Rookie/Softemere Race championship:

1 - Verstappen - 16pts
2 - Sainz - 10pts
3 - Magnusen - 7pts
4 - Vandoorne - 6pts
5 - Wehrlein - 4pts
6 - Nasr - 4pts
7 - Palmer - 4pts
8 - Haryanto - 2pts.

Rookie Softmere Overall Championship.

1 - Verstappen - 36pts
2 - Sainz - 22pts
3 - Magnusen - 12pts
4 - Vandoorne - 10pts
5 - Palmer - 9pts
6 - Werhlain - 7pts
7 - Nasr - 6pts
8 - Haryanto - 4pts

Rookie Quali Championship Championship:

1 - Palmer - 14pts
2 - Wehrlein - 10pts
3 - Vandoorne - 10pts
4 - Haryanto - 9pts

Rookie Race Championship:

1 - Wehrlein - 12pts
2 - Palmer - 10pts
3 - Vandoorne - 10pts
4 - Haryanto - 4pts

Overall Rookie Championship:

1 - Palmer - 24pts
2 - Wehrlein - 22pts
3 - Vandoorne - 20pts
4 - Haryanto - 13pts.

I realise with the large amount of championships this information is getting confusing now. I'll sort a proper table for next update so its easier to read!

Back
Top Bottom