RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

Andyoak

Champion Elect
I was 14 when I had a Spectrum. It was a thing that tied me to my dad; even though what he did with computers was light years and 2000 miles away.

I could do things with it, not very well, and I loved the games. Most importantly it made computers something that we could all enjoy and not be scared of.

Some may say that his star burnt brightest in the mid 80's and forget that he was so far ahead of his time.

The C5 may be a joke in history: but was it really? Affordable popular electric transport is where we are heading but he was trying to make it work 30 years ago.

He was pioneering electric bikes 20 years ago.

Truly a great man who we should be proud of and celebrate today and in the future.

Ahhh, Jet Set Willy and thermal printers.

In some respects he was ahead of his time.

The technology just wasn't good enough for electric vehicles 30 years ago but now it's mainstream and will soon be the norm.

I remember fondly my ZX80 plugged in to a 5 inch medical greenscreen which my dad had pilfered from a skip! we upgraded it to 64K ram too, which cost about £60 at the time, and was about the same size as a house brick, but it did allow us to create programs which were more than 100 lines long.

RIP Clive

Remember the first computer I ever touched was a ZX80 and a ZX81. Our school purchased the ZX80 in kit form so you could see the inner workings and the ZX81 to actually use.

I'll always remember our Headmaster, Mr Gibbons, who seemed permanently cross about something, running the computer club after school.

I had the ZX Spectrum with its rubber keys. I loved Harrier Attack and fruit machine simulator.

As Bro said, Sir Clive was ahead of his time but he put British computer engineering on the map and is part of the reason why we remain at the forefront of game design and programming.

RIP Sir Clive

Back
Top Bottom