Current Renault

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
I'd stick to Team Enstone if you want consistency, Renault are sure to dip in and out of F1. After all, why change the habit of a lifetime!

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I guess Ocon will not be a Mercedes backed driver then unless Renault have got some agreement in developing him

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Now someone be a good chap and sell the rights to the Team Lotus name to Clive Chapman for a peppercorn ammount so that the Chapman family can regain the name and ensure the fiasco of dragging the Lotus name through the dirt never happens again. Ever !!

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Well I remember saying Bahar's vision of marketing the Lotus' name was over ambitious and it was going to end in tears

It is actually quite sad to see the great name of Lotus disappear from F1 again. I don't think the name should be brought back into F1 again given the bitter row over the naming rights between the two former team owners/ principals that fought over turned out was actually a waste of time now

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Phew, that's a relief. With Renault dropping Pastor it would have been a change too many if they had dropped Miss Jorda as well. It's vital to the development of the team to have someone at the back of the garage for the TV cameras to cut to.

RasputinLives

Doesn't look a bit like Jesus
Contributor
So Renault are going to put French Canadian Nicholas Latifi in for at least one FP1 session this year

F1 news: GP2 racer Latifi gets Renault F1 role, poised to make FP1 debut

With Frenchmen Ocon there as well there is a francophile feel to background of the team. Can't help but feel Magnusen and Palmer are stop-gaps until the car is developed a bit and they can put in drivers to fly the French flag, or at least one of them anyway.

Last edited:

Olivier

Race Winner
Not that I'm complaining of having a fellow Canadian back in F1, but I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that Renault is coming back to Canada after a long hiatus.

RasputinLives

Contributor
I would say espcially so as Latifi didn't light up WSR 3.5 last year. He has shown promise previously though.

If they wanted a Canadian they should have gone for poor old Robert Wickens

Olivier

Race Winner
I think they wanted a Québécois. Wickens would have been a great option some years back but he's been written off. He himself supposedly rejected offers to be reserve driver for a couple of F1 teams. I suspect one of the them being Force India.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
RasputinLives Apparently current drivers are only on 12 month contracts . An interesting choice Latifi some practice sessions given Oliver Rowland is also part of the Renault young driver programme and competing in Gp2 as well

RasputinLives

Contributor
I think the new Renault car looks awesome and I know it classic Renault colour scheme but due to its livery and it's two drivers I keep accidently referring to them as DAMS!

RasputinLives

Contributor
Renault sign Russian driver just before Russian Grand Prix and give said Russian driver a slot in P1 at Russian Grand Prix. Decision made purely on talent honest guv.

New Renault test driver Sergey Sirotkin to drive in Friday practice at Sochi

To be fair to Sirotkin he was the best of the rookies in GP2 last year and has steadily got better in the junior formula's over the last few seasons since all that fuss with Sauber.

Top Bottom