Rain Quiz

GeoCucc

Points Scorer
Hi all. I'm new here, and I really enjoy your quizes. That's why I decided to make my own. I hope it's "allowed" for everyone here, and you will enjoy it. (I also hope that I did everything well with the buttons, etc..)

My quiz is about the wet races. I think noone else made anything similar before. Until this time 126 of the 837 races were affected adequately by the rain (I mean: more than a few drops on the camera, so it had real effect on the results).
The quiz was created before the 2010 Brazilian GP, so whatever happens on the last two races in the season, doesn't included in the answers.

1. At the first season of Formula1 there was only one race affected by rain. Which was it (0,5 point) and why did it remain memorable (0,5 point)?
Maybe it's not so easy for the beginning, so here are the races from the year 1950: GP of Britain, Monaco, Indy 500, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Italy. Choose one!
Indianapolis 500. The race was planned for 200 laps, but was stopped after the 138th lap because the heavy rain, and was not restarted. Victory went to Johnnie Parsons, so it was not only the first wet race, but the first when red flag was used as well.

2. Apart from Parsons, there are 4 drivers who achieved their only victory on a wet race. Name them for 1/4 point each.
Jean-Pierre Beltoise (1972, Monaco); Vittorio Brambilla (1975, Austria); Gunnar Nilsson (1977, Belgium); Olivier Panis (1996, Monaco)

3. Which was the last wet race, where the Safety Car wasn't deployed?
2009, Malaysia, because the last lap behind the SC wasn't already include in the final official result. But if you said the 2008 Belgian GP (this was the previous) I accept this too.

4. The longest period without wet races was in the 80s. How many races were dry in a row?
42, from European GP '85 to French GP '88. Full point for +-2, half point for 37-39 and 45-47.

5. On the most rainy continent 21% of the races were wet so far. Which is that?
Asia

6. Which circuit had the most wet races in the history?
Spa-Francorchamps (15).

7. Which was the last weekend where not only the race but the qualifying was also affected by rain.
2008, Italy

8. Name the season in the 2000s which had the most wet races for 0,5 point. If you know the exact number, you get the another 0,5. It's the all-time record as well.
Year 2000. There were 6 wet races: European, Canadian, German, Belgian, USA, Japan

9. How many races were start behind the Safety Car so far(all of them due to heavy rain)?
7. Alongside Belgium 1997 it was Belgium 2000, Brazil 2003, Japan 2007, Italy 2008, China 2009, Korea 2010

10. Until now there were 5 half-point races in the F1 history. 4 of them were stopped because heavy rain. Name the 5th, and the reason of the red flag (0,5-0,5 points).
1975 Spain (Montjuich Park), stopped because serious safety issues.

Geocucc, thanks for taking the time to post this, you're are very welcome to contribute in this fashion. I hope you decide to stick around.

I'm hopeless at these quizes, so I never post scores. However, I did notice the button to question 5 is broken. :) My moderator powers seem to be somewhat broken, so I can't edit your post myself, or delete the duplicate, but I'll get that sorted ASAP.

fat_jez said:
Geocucc, thanks for taking the time to post this, you're are very welcome to contribute in this fashion. I hope you decide to stick around.

I'm hopeless at these quizes, so I never post scores. However, I did notice the button to question 5 is broken. :) My moderator powers seem to be somewhat broken, so I can't edit your post myself, or delete the duplicate, but I'll get that sorted ASAP.

Thanks :) I think I repaired the button. It seems I cannot write apostrophe there.

Four and a half for me. Good quiz, and nice to see you contribute.

The buttons do not work with apostrophes I'm afraid! I'm sure I must have asked something similar to Q10 before! LOL

Welcome to the site!

Oh, it's pleasure to see my old quiz here again.
At least it gave me a chance to notice a mistake in it :whistle: I'm surprised that noone else recognised it before.
The 1997 Belgian GP was also started behind the Safety Car, I've missed it out from the list. So aggregated there were 7 races. (actually 8 since last weekend, but of course it doesn't count in a quiz created in last year)

I object for question 7.
7.Which was the last weekend where not only the race but the qualifying was also affected by rain.
Belgium 2010, it rained at the end of qualifying and at the end of the race.

Back
Top Bottom