R.I.P. Sócrates - 1954 – 2011

Fenderman

Rooters Reporter
R.I.P. Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira 1954 – 2011

Brazilian football star Sócrates has died at the age of 57 following suspected food poisoning leading to septic shock.

Aside from the World Cup and The Euro's I don't really get into football so it's not often that the death of a player means that much to me personally. However, for some reason I have always had a bit of a fixation with Brasil. The passing of Sócrates has saddened me somewhat particularly as he was a man of my generation – just a year younger than me, in fact – so I can say that I witnessed some of his exploits on the World stage.

I know that he had quite a goal scoring record but what I remember of him was the way he used to set goals up. Sometimes I would get a bit annoyed when he passed and the receiver fluffed it when I thought he could have gone all the way, but in the main he seemed to get it right. That's what stays in the mind, the idea that he was generous and a truly great team player.

Anyway, that's enough about my memories. Commiserations to his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

R.I.P - My thoughts are with his Family and Friends. Also very sad to hear of another passing of a football great and really hope that Brazilian football can come together over this.

Did anyone hear the interviews with the owner of Garforth Town who Socrates played for in 2004? Brilliant that the man came to the UK just to help out a friend who's team was struggling - even though he only played 13 minutes. He also said Socrates lived every day like he was 20, probably explains why he's died at 57. Shame, RIP Socrates.

Back
Top Bottom