Michelin
Firestone
Dunlop
Continental
Avon
Englebert
Goodyear
Pirelli

In an article entitled "Kers power-boost system may make 2011 Formula 1 return" the BBC goes on to discuss the latest situation on tyres for 2011, with Bridgestone's impending withdrawl. Rather strangley (at least I thought is was strange) Stefano Domenicali says that negotiations (and presumably therefore the choice of supplier) is Bernie Ecclestones. Which raises the question, why?

Domenicali:

All this needs to be discussed with (F1 commercial supremo) Bernie (Ecclestone) as he's traditionally looked after tyre supply."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8650454.stm

Interesting question FB.

Quite why the commercial rights holder would be involved with the supply of tyres (amongst other things) is, I suspect, unique to F1.

Isn't it about the time the whole sport was tidied up and regulated (for another thred perhaps)?

for me alot of issues F1's issues come from pirelli's problems, the thermal degradtion that we see often where the drivers are told to drop back, but i will give them a bit of slack, as F1 are as culpable as for asking for degrading tyres that just creating cautious races.

but do we need a tyre war, to accelerate the pace of improvement, maybe this is rose tinted glasses but the reason why bridgestone tyres were so good were because they had to be otherwise Michelin would beat them. you can guarantee that if Bridgestone were still in F1 pirelli would be looking for improvements in dry tyres & wouldnt be having these Wet tyre issues where 11 years later full wets are still unusable. meaning that condittions we have raced in with no problem even as recent as fuji 2007. monaco 2008 Britain 2008 in this era would be abandoned, red flagged or large delay

Reflecting on a treacherous 2022 Japanese GP, Vettel told F1TV: “The main thing about today is that nothing happened in these conditions; we had a tractor on the track that should never have been there. In these conditions on the wrong (Intermediate) tyres, which we are forced to put on because the extreme Wet is not good enough & too slow, there is stuff we need to learn and do better next time,”

But it was not the first time, as in Monaco the 4x F1 World Champion provided insight that takes on new meaning after the Pirelli tyre shambles on Sunday when he revealed: “As soon as you can go on the Intermediate, you do it. The extreme Wet tyres are far too hard for this track and even for Imola [also a wet race], they were too hard. In rainy weather, we know that the current cars have a lot of aquaplaning. Pirelli hasn’t worked on this subject for years & everyone knows it. So we have to wait until it stops raining to be able to launch a race.

I remember the days when we could have driven here in the rain, with no problem with this amount of water, but with these tyres it is impossible. Looking at them, the extreme Wet looks good but in fact, they’re useless,”

Fresh from winning his second successive F1 Crown, after a hectic race at Suzuka, Red Bull’ Max Verstappen also had a crack at Pirelli: “I didn’t want to take a dig out of everyone but I think we need better rain tyres.“If you saw what we could do in the 1990s or the early 2000s, with the amount of water on the track… I’m very happy to have a few test days, you know, and try all different kinds of tyres but we need better rain tyres.

The extremes are just slow and they can’t really carry a lot of water away. That’s why everyone always tries to switch very quickly to an intermediate because it’s just so much faster per lap, like you could see from one to the other lap, we went from the extreme to the inter today and we immediately went five seconds at least faster and that is just too big.

And that’s why nobody really wants to run that extreme. And when it rained like it did when the red flag came out and you would have put extreme tyres on, I think it would still be really difficult to drive. But then if you compare that to 20 years ago, that would have been perfectly fine.

dont get me wrong pirelli have a hard job & harder job to follow bridgestone who were excellent. i dont know if Pirelli have got free reign or if its bounded by FIA. but as we all know it almost all parts of life competition makes things better, like in 2021 i bet red bull arent pushing anywhere near as hard this year as they were in 2021

id like to see pirelli challenged & as it would be good for them

Perhaps Pirelli don't make a working wet tyre because they've ben told not to as Liberty don't want real wet racing as you can't see the cars on TV monitors in the spray, or the Stewards can't see to impose stupid penalties LOL
you jest but the way F1 racing in wet has changed in the last 10 years. your probally not far wrong LOL

A leading driver told BBC Sport that the two multiple champions have been vocal within the driver group in expressing their approval of the way Bridgestone tyres behaved when the company was last in F1, especially for the way they could drive flat out throughout grands prix without fear of the tyres overheating.
However, some senior figures are sceptical of the wisdom of changing supplier, saying Pirelli has been a loyal partner of F1 for more than a decade, has been effective and supportive, and there is no guarantee a replacement tyre company would do a better job.The drivers are aware of Bridgestone's bid and some are supportive of the idea of it being F1's new supplier as a result of frustrations with Pirelli.
Drivers have been urging Pirelli for years to produce a tyre that is less sensitive to overheating when pushed hard or trying to overtake.
Insiders say Bridgestone has pledged as part of its bid that it can produce a tyre on which drivers can push harder for longer

I'm sure I remember that Pirelli were instructed by FIA to make they're tyres degrade to make the racing more interesting. Funnily enough, following the 2011 Canadian GP where the results were thrown in the air because nobody knew which tyre to choose.

Of course, I may be hallucinating...

I'm sure I remember that Pirelli were instructed by FIA to make they're tyres degrade to make the racing more interesting. Funnily enough, following the 2011 Canadian GP where the results were thrown in the air because nobody knew which tyre to choose.

Of course, I may be hallucinating...
they did, but apparantly from what im hearing that wear & degradation isnt a problem, its the fact that pirelli have such a narrow working range. they asked to widen it but it just never materialled

Back
Top Bottom