Pat Symonds on overtaking...and Clip The Apex

I picked up a copy of the magazine today and had a quick read of it.

Considering how widely our data is used throughout the piece, I'm surprised we didn't even get a courtesy email letting us know.

Can you copyright it and, then, not only would they have to acknowledge it, but also pay for it? Or the other route is intellectual property, which seems to cover quite a lot. Just thoughts, not really up to date on modern judgements.

Sorry, off topic but who from the world of F1 is registered here that we know of for sure?

I'm assuming that Pat Symonds is actually a registered member here then!?

Who else from 'TV/F1 land' etc. is a known registered member??

Any rumours or suspicions??

It's excellent to have been part of the CTA community that is apparently now held in such high esteem! Who'd have thunk it all that time ago Brogan!! 'Grats again to all!

Sorry, off topic but who from the world of F1 is registered here that we know of for sure?
There are a few but due to data protection and privacy, I am not able to say.
There are some anonymous screenshots here of resolved IP addresses: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/hall-of-fame.883/

One thing is certain, to access the overtaking data you have to log in, so unless Pat got a researcher to do all the leg work, he has actually been on the site :)

Symonds suggested that the second corner should be the same direction as the first, so the overtaking car would still be on the inside line if the pass hadn't been completed on the straight.

Sort of like Brazil then?

It's interesting to discover that the Toyota study seems to disagree completely with my assertions on the recent thread about the adjustable wing, that you need a faster more sweeping corner rather than a slow corner, into the straight to allow the following car to keep closer to the leading car and be in prime position to overtake at the next slow corner. I must admit, I don't see why having really long straights is any advantage. Once two cars exit the first corner and then both reach maximum speed, surely they will just maintain station down the straight; so there's no point in making it longer than necessary.
Maybe I'll keep an eye on things this season to see who's right.
wink.gif

Anyway, congrats to all concerned for the well-deserved plaudits. I must admit that since joining CTA just under a year ago I have not made enough use of the overtaking and other stats, something I must put right from now on.

Abu Dhabi appears to solidly explode all of the slow turn, straight, slow turn mythology.

The back straight at Abu Dhabi is far to long, the cars are setup for the slow 2nd/3rd and 4th gear corners that inhabit most of the track. As a result the cars are in seventh half way down the straight, and banging up against the limiter not long after. Therefore not a good combination.

Did anyone see the GP2 Asia series race at Abu-Dhabi over the weekend? Not a great deal of overtaking there either, the only excitement was having inexperienced drivers and quite a hefty start line incident.

I contacted the magazine enquiring why we weren't notified about the article.

They responded with this:

Dear Mr Brogan,

I’m sorry we didn’t inform you about Pat’s reference to your site. I should have dropped you a line. We reference so many people and companies every issue, we can’t possibly contact them all to let them know they are featured and on this occasion I must admit it didn’t occur to me.

But given how useful Pat clearly finds your site, I should have dropped you a line. Apologies again.

Best regards

I contacted the magazine enquiring why we weren't notified about the article.

They responded with this:
Nice :thumbsup:

Now follow up and get to know them a bit, perhaps ask for Pat to contact you directly as a courtesy?

Nice to see the site finally getting some recognition! Congrats guys!

We know Crofty (David Croft) is a memeber as he's said so and has used the data in commentry - and if you scan through many of the article on "Clip The Apex Presents........." you'll see Ron Dennis and Bernie are avid reader LOL

Back
Top Bottom