Pat Symonds on overtaking...and Clip The Apex

Could you define a "wet" race as one where wet/intermediate tyres are used for the whole event (eg Korea 2010) and a "variable" race where wets and dries are used in the same race? If someone decides to take dry tyres for a lap and no-one else does its still a wet race.

Could you define a "wet" race as one where wet/intermediate tyres are used for the whole event (eg Korea 2010) and a "variable" race where wets and dries are used in the same race? If someone decides to take dry tyres for a lap and no-one else does its still a wet race.

That sounds reasonable. Are there any volunteers to go through the history books back to '82 to confirm which races were full wet and which were mixed?

Fully Wet

Korea 2010
China 2009
Italy 2008
Britain 2008
Japan 2007
Brazil 2003
Belgium 1998
Britain 1998
Monaco 1997
Spain 1996
Japan 1994
Europe 1993 (debatable)
Brazil 1993 (debatable)
Spain 1992
Australia 1991
Australia 1989
Belgium 1989
Germany 1988 (some people started on dries but the track was soaking wet)
Britain 1988
Portugal 1985
Monaco 1984

not that many totally wet races in 30 years

We went through this exercise a while ago as part of the database.

As I recall there was quite a bit of debate and even then we couldn't agree on some races.

I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: It was in the archive so I've moved it to the new forum for discussing the overtaking database.

I just love the sheer work, effort and diligence that folk's on Clip put in. This place is a gold mine. Methinks a Rooters News special is called for. I'm really busy at the moment and making do with a borrowed laptop, but I will endeavour put something together maybe when there's a longer gap between races.

Let me know if you don't want to be highhlighted in a Rooters News piece.

Oh, and remember Rooters News is the positive thread about good stuff going on on rather than: Rooting Today which is my political, cultural satire one and Rootersport which is the irreverant F1 and motorsport thread.

Members and readers unfamiliar with "Rooters" pseudo news network can find it here: http://cliptheapex.com/forums/off-the-pit-wall/ in http://cliptheapex.com/forums/clip-the-apex-presents/

... so don't worry nobody featured in the special will be subjected to any kind of ridicule, humiliation or denigration of any kind. Those who know me know I don't do that sort of thing anyway and I rather like being a member of CTA.

:wave:

Heh, heh, heh LOL Sly' deftly reserves his column inches ... ;)

Edit: No more replies here, please as I would not want to derail this thread. I thank you :goodday:

Back
Top Bottom