One from the archive

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
To all of you who don't think that Bernie or the FIA listen to Formula one fans then I've found the ideal answer.

The following is a copy of a letter from the Correspondance pages of Autosport.

Reverse the grid.

The opening paragraphs of Nigel Roebucks Brazilian Grand Prix report illustrate well the current practice problem in Grand Prix racing. I believe I have the solution which will ensure that the right driver/car combination is on pole and will bring bact the spectacle for us, the paying spectators.
1. Reduce the practice to one day only. This will cut the cost to both the teams and spectators.
2. Run the morning practice as an untimed session with anything going - qualifying tyres, increased boost, empty water tanks etc.
3. The afternoon practice is the one that counts and the cars will be run one at a time over three laps to set their grid position.
4. The cars will run in reverse order - seeded so that the quickest qualify last, thus "bumping" the others off pole. In this way the spectator will not miss the single flat-out lap from his favourite driver - the commentators can drum up interest and everyone will understand what is happening.
5. At the end of this session the tyres on which the car qualified will either be marked or placed in a seperate, guarded, van for use in the race. Simple, an end to three lap specials.
6. The cars could be weighed both before and after the three laps and must be on or above the weight limit on both occasions - they can easily be observed during the short time available for a few laps.
The benefits are obvious. No more traffic problems for the fast men. Less cost for everyone, Fewer hours working for the mechanics, a much better spectacle for television as we could see the quick laps on Saturday afternoon. There would have to a contingency for variable conditions of course.
Naturally the idea will not be adopted - it's too simple and easy to enforce.....

David McLaughlin. Blackheath, London

Well Mr Mclaughlin I salute you.

Oh yeah and the date of this article. April the 1st 1982. Sums it up really

Back
Top Bottom