Not just ugly but seriously fugly

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
In the 2022 pre-season thread, several people have commented that the new for 22 F1 car design is not exactly one of F1's best lookers. One poster has even gone so far as to describe it as the ugliest F1 car of all time. Not just ugly but seriously fugly.

What do we think?

Copyright F1.

1639676936363.png

F1 has had some absolute mingers over the years so what would you say is the fugliest F1 car of all time?

In the 2022 pre-season thread, several people have commented that the new for 22 F1 car design is not exactly one of F1's best lookers. One poster has even gone so far as to describe it as the ugliest F1 car of all time. Not just ugly but seriously fugly.

What do we think?

Copyright F1.

View attachment 15153

F1 has had some absolute mingers over the years so what would you say is the fugliest F1 car of all time?
i think if it delivers great racing theyll look fabulous

I don't think the car will look like that. But let's see. I'm pretty sure it will look like an F1 car.

Of course no f1 car is pretty. I'd much rather look at a Porsche 911 or an Aston Martin DBS

One thing strikes me about the 2022 cars is that, because they are dependent on ground effect for grip, this also means that if the tunnels under the car are damaged, they are going to face major losses of speed.

1639935554960.png

I've highlighted the area that's going to be most at risk - where the barge boards used to be. This section is where the air is captured and accelerated under the car. However, if a car faces an impact (like Verstappen did in Hungary), and that outermost tunnel is damaged, rather than directing the air underneath the car, the air will just shoot out to the side of the side-pod.

Not only will this give a massive loss of grip, it will also heavily imbalance the car. (In this diagram, it would be lots of grip on the right, little grip on the left of the car).

I wonder how much these cars will actually be able to race if they are carrying damage... I can also see circuits like Imola playing merry havoc with these cars, as with aggressive kerbs, drivers are more likely to damage the under-car tunnels... How long before they're asking to change the design of the tracks to look after the cars!

Last edited:
gethinceri - I agree. I'm musing about what happens when (not if) a car ends up having the tunnels punctured by contact.

If the cars are "racing" in Saudi Arabia next year, it's guaranteed that there will be broken cars all over the circuit again!

Funnily enough that's given me an idea - breakable aero parts under the car. Drive over a kerb results in breaking the aero bits. A bit of incentive to not drive over the kerb. Snag is it might leave broken bits on the track.

Sounds a bit too black and white minstrels show to me.
Rumour has it that this will be Michael Masi's fancy dress at the FIA end of year Xmas party. He figured dressing like that and getting up on stage and serenading Jean Todt with a rendition of "Old Man River" would be less controversial than his race direction.

🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom