Mercedes-Benz to become Brawn GP shareholder

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
Mercedes-Benz are to become a shareholder in Brawn GP.

There was some speculation at the start of the season that Mercedes might drop McLaren after the Australian GP scandal but apparently they changed their mind after McLaren's upturn in performance and results.

This burgeoning relationship with Brawn though can realistically only mean that in future Mercedes will be major partners with one or the other team, not both.

Are McLaren going to be looking for a new engine supplier in the future?

Source: Mercedes-Benz set to become a shareholder in Brawn GP F1 team

The way I see this is that Mercedes are showing confidence in F1 whilst other manufacturers are turning tail and running. It will make sense for Mercedes to have more than just a supplier/customer relationship with more than 1 team, especially going into the future, with the post 2012 engine regulations not yet finalised, and by having 2 teams in which they have influence, then there is more of an opportunity to shape the engine regulations for the future!.

I'm a little bit concerned by this news. Is this the only case of an engine supplier having a stake in the teams they supply? Do Renault have shares in RBR for example? The worry I have is that it opens the door to potential accusations of result manipulation.

While it would be highly unlikely that this would happen there would be that doubt every time something unusual happenend in a race involving Mclaren and Brawn cars. F1 has suffered from so many scandels recently that the last thing it needs is the potential for more.

I'm with you CAT, in football (oh no, I hear you cry, not another football analogy LOL ) no individual is allowed to own more than one team for fear of match fixing. Good old Cap'n Bob Maxwell once tried to own Oxford and Derby and, if I recall, the FA made him sell one. Also, let's face it, F1 has previous in this area - within teams at least.

FB said:
I'm with you CAT, in football (oh no, I hear you cry, not another football analogy LOL ) no individual is allowed to own more than one team for fear of match fixing. Good old Cap'n Bob Maxwell once tried to own Oxford and Derby and, if I recall, the FA made him sell one. Also, let's face it, F1 has previous in this area - within teams at least.

I remember CSKA Moscow vs Chelsea sparking a media frenzy when one of Abramovich's companies sponsored CSKA!

As for F1, we all know you can own as many teams as you like. And translate your company name into as many languages as you like! Maybe Mateschitz is interested in BMW and Renault...

Riege Rot Bulle? Équipe Rouge Taureau?

Holy Cow!

Back
Top Bottom