Lewis Hamilton brought to you by Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

KekeTheKing

Banned
Supporter
I was glad to see McLaren realize that Lewis' number one concern should be driving a race car.

I mean seriously, who the hell thought it was a good idea to schedule a one day trip to India after a week of promotional nonsense in the lead up to the home GP. Cancelling that trip was the best move McLaren has made in months.

Hamilton should be good and ready for Germany.

I mean seriously, who the hell thought it was a good idea to schedule a one day trip to India after a week of promotional nonsense in the lead up to the home GP...

Yeah.... ;) ... Looks like Hamilton will re-sign for McLarens...but with a contract with much less PR work load...:

http://www.itv.com/formula1/news/2011/7/lewis-hamilton-my-pr-workload-is-too-much-9826/
I suppose there has to be be a middle ground between Kimi's loathing of PR work and Lewis' schedule. :snigger:

They've turned Lewis into a Corporate Marketing 'Suit'!

Look at the last line of this: http://www.itv.com/formula1/news/2011/7/mclaren-eye-nurburgring-step-forward-6542/

“The current circuit may be less epic than the original 14-mile layout, and certainly a lot safer, but it can still bite you...And the weather can turn in a matter of moments – you can have all the seasons in one afternoon."

“When that happens, I know I can rely on the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team to react quickly and decisively.”

When that happens, I know I can rely on the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team to react quickly and decisively ???:snigger:

You could insert "my Michelin tyres" for "the Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes team". :D Hilarious! Can you imagine Kimi saying that???!!! :wave:

I think the point is, why is he mentioning that the team is sponsored by Vodafone? That's meaningless in terms of doing well in the championship. He could have just said "McLaren", but because of PR, he needs to bring them into it.

I know Keke feels it's irreleveant but i'll discuss it anyway because it's a Lewis thread as a whole. It doesn't even seem like Lewis wrote it. It seems as if a Suit wrote it. Lewis would have said this:

“When that happens, I'm hopeful the team and I will react quickly and decisively enough to take advantage.”

It's high time Lewis began to dictate certain things...Like ensuring he puts in a 'banker' lap in Q3 and is on the right tyre for it!

The team is called Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes, there is nothing wrong in mentioning the teams full name which includes the sponsor, F1 teams can't race without sponsors.

As the saying goes,

"no bucks, no Buck Rogers"

I'm sure if Lewis would care to drop his wage demands a little he would have to do a little less PR work to get the money in to pay for them.

At the end of the day, there are very little avenues for an F1 Team to make money. Some of the worlds largest motor makers have had their fingers burnt trying.

Go back to any copy of Autosport / Motorsport from the year dot and you will find pictures of racing drivers (of all series) advertising products. Of course its not just an F1 thing either.

I'm not sure what you're driving at RITC?

I actually didn't start this thread. It's been slaved off from the Hamilton thread and is a natural itteration of Keke's posts in that thread where he (Keke) questioned the wisdom of sending Lewis on a long haul flight where he was originally scheduled to be in India for a one day marketing/PR appearence just before a Grand Prix in your time zone!

What a lot of fuss about nothing! The whole snippet was obviously prepared by a McLaren press officer, so it's no surprise that Lewis suddenly has "Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes" inserted ahead of the "team" he probably used in the original soundbite (if it was indeed actually taken from his own words).

And in that, we are actually doing that press officer's job for him by constantly highlighting these sorts of snippets and endlessly wittering on about them - it's called "brand exposure" people!

:crazy:

As the saying goes,

"no bucks, no Buck Rogers"

I'm sure if Lewis would care to drop his wage demands a little he would have to do a little less PR work to get the money in to pay for them.

At the end of the day, there are very little avenues for an F1 Team to make money. Some of the worlds largest motor makers have had their fingers burnt trying.

Go back to any copy of Autosport / Motorsport from the year dot and you will find pictures of racing drivers (of all series) advertising products. Of course its not just an F1 thing either.

My first car was a Skoda Estelle Rapid because it was dirt cheap and they won their class in the RAC Rally for 20 odd years...
and it was great fun to drive; very tail happy:D... the poor mans Porsche!

Back
Top Bottom