Land Speed Record

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
I see that the Bloodhoud SSC team is preparing to attempt to reach 1000mph and thereby claim the world land speed record.

Am I the only one that thinks that only vehicles that only vehicles that attain their max velocity thru driven wheels should be eligible to claim that prize? I hav always felt that the jet and rocket-powered coasters should not be eligible.

No, I can't agree, the record is for the highest speed attained on dry land. Method of propulsion is irrelevant for me, but they are probably different records, in the same way as highest speed for a steam train is a different record from that of a diesel.

Well it takes the land speed record then and not the wheel-driven land speed record. And also hate to be a buzzkill but technically speaking the land speed record is 6,481mph achieved by a rocket sled.

Except the rocket sled didn't meet the rules as it didn't turn around and repeat the run in the opposite direction.

What's to say that, theoretically, an SR-71 would come flying in, let its wheels touch the ground, then hit afterburners. At the end of the "run", the pilot pulls back on the stick, loops around, repeats the feat in the opposite direction. Having hit 1500 mph in both directions, would we then claim the Blackbird is a land vehicle and therefore claims the record? That type of possibility, however unlikely, is why I think the coaster cars shouldn't be allowed

siffert_fan it is impossible to land a jet aircraft going at that speed due to ground effect, in fact the plane wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the ground it would just bounce along on a cushion of air and probably crash.

Anyway I'm just going to get my jet powered Ford Console out of the garage and nip down to Tesco's

Took a trip yesterday to the Campbell museum in the Lake District - if you get the chance try and get there. They have full size models of Malcolm Campbell's LSR Bluebird car and WSR Bluebird K4 and K7 boats. Fantastic, and a very moving documentary of Donald Campbell's last days.

Took a trip yesterday to the Campbell museum in the Lake District - if you get the chance try and get there. They have full size models of Malcolm Campbell's LSR Bluebird car and WSR Bluebird K4 and K7 boats. Fantastic, and a very moving documentary of Donald Campbell's last days.

As I recall, he perished on Loch Ness, which somehow seemed fitting.

Interesting blurb on the Bloodhound project on the BBC website today. It says they are using a Cosworth CA2010 formula 1 engine to drive the fuel pump!

Back
Top Bottom