Poll KERS vs IndyCar "Push to Pass" system - what would you prefer ?

KERS... Push to Pass... the "go faster button"... what would like to see in race conditions...

• B. KERS - give them less per lap...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E. Push to Pass system - no recharge; allowance of 360s; same as C. (qv to 60 laps w/KERS)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZakspeedYakspeed

NeverUnderestimateThePredictabilityOfStupidity
Valued Member
Watching poor mans F1 on Sunday ... they have re-introduced the "push to pass" system... for all intents and purposes it produces a KERS boost... but each driver has a set allowance (120 seconds) to be used at their discretion any time during the race... but once it has gone it is gone... the on screen graphic highlights the drivers names in green when they deploy the PtoP... (similar to F1... scrolling position order...).

When they were following a few cars duking it out, they lined up each driver in race order w/avail. PtoP remaining and you could see live as it got sucked down and the cars speed increase...

So this gave me food for thought... notwithstanding the nature of the KERS system... how fast it recharges, etc... would such a system used by IndyCar make F1 more interesting...

For mine, if KERS was replaced with a Push to Pass system (with a more applicable name befitting F1...) with say 120 seconds... maybe 150 seconds to be used at the drivers discretion I think it would add to the spectacle... could you imagine a Hamilton on old tyres with 50 seconds left desperately trying to fend off a faster FA on fresher rubber with maybe 25 seconds available... it would give the driver a little more strategy to play with, and I am all for more driver control...

Here's a thought: why not do away with the specific limit on the amount of time/charge, and let them use whatever motor power and battery capacity they want? Then you have to choose whether you want to pay the weight penalty for the benefit of the boost, and to what extent. The most efficient systems would have the advantage. And the drivers wouldn't necessarily know who had loads available, and who had opted to run without.

As I type though, I can see such a thing would never happen - even if the spending arms race could be avoided somehow, the FIA are never going to loosen regulation are they?

Here's a thought:

The car only gets 7 seconds of KERS if they are within 1.5 seconds of the car in front at the start/finish line, and get rid of DRS? At least that way they can be tactical rather than using it at a set point?

A push to pass system which allows a set amount of time overall would make qualifying far more important.

All drivers have say 120 seconds. Driver A has a good qualifying session and gets on pole. Driver B has problems, qualifying in tenth place. During the race driver B works his way up to second by good driving aided by his ptp. On the penultimate lap he catches driver A who has led all the way. Driver B uses his remaining ptp to overtake driver A. There are 120 seconds left of the race so, for the first time, driver A uses his ptp for the rest of the race, succeeding getting back in the lead on the finishing straight.

OK, you can say that driver B should have qualified better, but I would rather see driver B win because he has been the quicker in the race and has had to work for it.

Either get rid of KERS, or preferably have no restrictions on it at all.

I like how KERS is implemented at the minute, it still allows drivers to use it strategically to either attack OR defend. I'd prefer it if DRS was implemented in the same/similar way during the race actually. My vote goes to keep it as it is I think, although I wouldn't mind if they had a bit more.

As for the push to pass system, it seems to me that with this system there is less of an incentive to build an efficient energy recovery system. In the extreme case, for example, the teams could just charge up a massive quantity of batteries before the race without bothering to collect any energy during the race at all. Perhaps it would add another interesting strategy element, but I think I prefer the current system.

if the spending arms race could be avoided somehow

Let them go at engine development with no restrictions, but make it a requirement that identical engines (with periodic checks from the FIA) be available for sale to any team as wants them for, say, £2m a go, with free replacement if the engine fails within the duty cycle equivalent of four races. KERS systems similar, but cost capped at a few hundred thousand.

Jut a thought.

How about the amount of KERS per lap is based upon your qualifying position. If you qualify on pole you get less than if you qualify last. This way you sacrifice KERS power for track position. This will encourage overtaking.

You could give the top five the same amount, then the next five get an extra 1-2 seconds (so on and so forth).

For this to work all cars would be required to have a KERS unit.

As a side note, if I recall correctly the amount of KERS is planned to be doubled when we move to V6 engines in 2014 (if that ever happens).

Remove the restrictions for when DRS can be used... encourage mistakes to generate overtaking opportunities.
Remove the restrictions on KERS for the amount of boost that can be generated... encourage development.
Remove the restrictions on rules to reduce the amount of investigations, appeals, arguments... encourage racing.

Remove the restrictions for when DRS can be used... encourage mistakes to generate overtaking opportunities.
Remove the restrictions on KERS for the amount of boost that can be generated... encourage development.
Remove the restrictions on rules to reduce the amount of investigations, appeals, arguments... encourage racing.

An additional point would be needed, Enforce a strict budget cap to stop certain teams using an "unlimited funds cheat" to win the championship.

*Im not suggesting the teams with the money are cheating its just the equivalent of using a cheat on a sim game!

I have yet to see any indication that budget caps work or are enforceable...
... but if they can be then I'm all with you on that point.

I'm actually OK with how KERS is used within the race. The fact that it is allowed in quali, though, is an affront to God and Man. IMO, natch. ;)

Back
Top Bottom