KERS (again!)

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
I'm sorry to bring this sorry subject up again, but it is quite a major change, I think you'll agree.

There is an excellent article on the F1Technical website, that gives a very good account of the intricacies of KERS.

Here is the link you've all been yearning for!

What it basically says is that everyone has gone for a battery KERS apart from Williams, who have gone for the flywheel jobby. BUT, it also gives a good account of the reasons why that the flywheel might be the system that the FIA might go for, if they decide to impose a draconian "one rule fits all" rule.

The chemical battery may be the favoured solution of the majority of teams, but the flywheel is the most ecologically sound solution which lasts the longest. It also doesn't have a messy chemical battery to dispose of and the flywheel is quicker to charge up.... true, this all may not affect F1, especially the time to charge the thing, but Max/FIA are all 'green' now aren't they?

Like I said earlier, sorry if this is going over old ground, but I found this article informative.

Only four days till Oz! :snacks:

The magnetic particles in the composite are magnetised after the rotor is manufactured
which means that it can be magnetised as a Halbach Array; avoiding the need for backing
iron to direct the flux.
LOL
That sounds like something from Star Trek: The Next Generation

Thanks for the link - all interesting stuff.

I thought flux was a bit more Back to the Future style, myself...!

All interesting stuff, the "one size fits all" approach to F1 that has been resisted by teams, fans, drivers, random passers-by and several extraterrestrials is the one that Bernie {INSERT EXTRATERRESTRIAL JOKE HERE} and Max {INSERT RANDOM PASSER-BY JOKE HERE} seem to be following - and undoubtably they'll go for the Green option, lest Al Gore eat their sorry asses for breakfast, or they could go for the Red option, lest Luca di Montezemelo eat their sorry asses for lunch!

Is KERS a curse? :thankyou: I wonder how the KERSified cars will perform in Melbourne. Can anyone tell me which cars carry the KERS? It'll be interesting to see if they're overtaking left, right and centre this year.

And the season starts this weekend! [*PLAYS THE CHAIN*]

McZ, Would that be the same Halbach array that was invented by the late Klaus Halbach who was a physicist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and was designed to focus accerlerator particle beams ??

cider_and_toast said:
McZ, Would that be the same Halbach array that was invented by the late Klaus Halbach who was a physicist at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and was designed to focus accerlerator particle beams ??

Erm, :blink: ..... yeah, I'm sure that was what I was gonna say..! LOL

teabagyokel said:
Can anyone tell me which cars carry the KERS? It'll be interesting to see if they're overtaking left, right and centre this year.

I may be may be wrong (and sure to be corrected...) but this is what I've managed to glean about KERS from the Interweb >>

McLaren - have already tested its KERS system extensively during pre-season testing but have completed the Barcelona test without it. The team look set to focus on their performance issues first before putting KERS into the MP4-24. :dunno:

Ferrari - Autosport are saying that Ferrari are using KERS in Oz. :yes:

BMW - has started 2009 development very early on and have never made any suggestions that its KERS system would not make it to the Melbourne grid. All winter tests have been completed with KERS, so it'll be at Melbourne too. :dunno:

Renault - Pat Symonds on Autosport is quoted as saying their system is working well. :yes:

Red Bull Racing - have not had much KERS testing but are going for the Renault solution after they had trouble developing their own system. Because of the lack of testing with the system, it is expected that the team will wait for Renault to validate its reliability. :dunno:

Toyota - have declared they will not fit KERS any time soon. :no:

Scuderia Toro Rosso - will use Ferrari's system and won't be able to introduce it ahead of Ferrari. :dunno:

Williams - Kazuki Nakajima stated KERS hasn't been tested on track yet and will not be fitted in the first 6 races of the season. :no:

Force India - Autosport quote Simon Roberts, The team's chief operating officer, "we are not intending to race it in Australia" :no:

Brawn GP - is also still unsure about KERS. :dunno:

So that cleared up a whole load of nothing then!

Back
Top Bottom