Jean Eric Vergne vs Daniel Ricciardo

landogeorgelewis1

Champion Elect
Well these two are red hot new rookies to the F1 series.

Yes Ricciardo had the last 11 races in 2011 at HRT, but in that car we really didn't see the stuff he was made of. Jean Eric Vergne has just started his F1 career over the weekend at Austraila.

Now these two will be an interesting pairing to follow this season. In ability many say they the same as each other however who will come out on top?

Jean Eric Vergne showed us spells of what he can do on Sunday. But not enough to make a fair judgement about him. However Daniel Ricciardo did have one of the most weirdest races going, Not only did he start the race poorly by going over the grass he went from one extreme to another by nailing 2 points on the final lap of the race.

My question is who do you reckon will come out on top out of these two?

I think Ricciardo will triumph early and get the points on the board as he has the experience, a bit like Buemi did last year, then Vergne will come back at him in the second half.

I still think Vergne is still very young and inexperienced, if this year is a make or break year for them then that is really tough for these guys.

But judging the way Webber's going, they might sign him on for another year, so these two can have a proper battle.

i think Vergne was very unlucky not to get a point in the last grand prix, while Ricciardo on the other hand the opposite as the safety car came at the right time for him, Di Resta and Perez, but I guess that's how it goes.

I think Toro Rosso made a mistake not keeping one of last year's drivers just as a reference point. Ricciardo and Vergne could both be doing amazing or rubbish, but as long as they do the same as each other no one will know (much like Buemi vs Alguersuari).

How is it that Jean-Eric Vergne failed to win Formula Renault 3.5 yet the champion, Robert Wickens, doesn't even have reserve driver role in F1, never mind a race seat.

So, PĂ©rez is both younger and arguably had a better junior record than Kobayashi, who in fact had a distinctly average junior career, but I wouldn't say he's better.

I think it's because Vergne bet Ricciardo when they where both in it, not sure though, as I haven't really followed he junior series' much.

How is it that Jean-Eric Vergne failed to win Formula Renault 3.5 yet the champion, Robert Wickens, doesn't even have reserve driver role in F1, never mind a race seat.

Because Wickens was in his third season of Renault 3.5, whereas Vergne was a rookie. Vergne also won (actually, dominated) the British Formula 3 Championship in his rookie season.

In general in the junior series the more experience a driver has, the less currency their success will carry. Hence Lewis Hamilton took more credit for winning GP2 in his first year than Pastor Maldonado got for winning it in his fourth.

There isn't always a perfect correlation between the junior series and F1, however (obvious point, I know).

However Daniel Ricciardo did have one of the most weirdest races going, Not only did he start the race poorly by going over the grass he went from one extreme to another by nailing 2 points on the final lap of the race.

Ricciardo was hit up the back by Kobayashi at the first corner, knocking him into Bruno Senna and forcing him into the pits for a new nose. He said after the race that the car was pulling to the left throughout.

Hmmm. Tough one. Before the season started i was thinking it would be Vergne. Im really not sure now:unsure:. An interesting one to watch.

The history of F1 is littered with "next WDC/explosive talent/wunderkind/gonna upset the record books/..." hyped new entrants (Frentzen and Wurz spring to mind immediately without bothering to look up the ones I've forgotten) who didn't quite live up to the hype.

For me, Ricciardo's experience in F1 - even in a poor car - has to count for more than any amount of (Vergne's) experience in junior formulae, so Daniel gets my vote.
Ask me again in November !

He was beaten by his teammate last year, Robert Wickens, who is now out of open-wheel racing. But that probably says more about the limitations of a driver without sponsorship than anything.

I think Wickens is a top notch driver but lets not forget that Vergne was on his way to the title before he was taken out by Fairuz Fauzy right near the end of the last race. I think the 2 were pretty even all year long and think they both deserve a spot in F1 if I'm honest.

Honestly don't see why people rate Vergne so incredibly highly...

Anyone want to give a reason?

A bit like Galahad said - he's hit the ground running at every catogry he's been in and advanced through the formula's pretty much at his first attempt. Its been speculated by many that Red Bull were planning to keep one of Alguersauri or Buemi (prob Buemi on whats happened after) to go alongside Ricciardo but because Vergne beat him so emphatically in the Renault 3.5 series they didn't want to risk taking a punt on the wrong driver so put them both in and see how they do.

I think Vergne will start to show better form when we get to the european tracks he knows but this is very much a learning year for the him. I still think he'll beat Ricciardo this year(just). Ricciardo needs to go someway for me to put faith back in him - I know he was only driving a HRT but his record against Liuzzi wasn't great and he'll always ahve the stain of being out qualified by Karthakeyen on his record. Having said that he took his chance at Aus so I don't think he's a slouch by anymeans.

As for either of them getting into the Red Bull A squad I think we'll have to wait and see - but a Frenchmen in a Renault powered car? seems a no brainer to me if he can show he can do it.

Back
Top Bottom