Jarno Trulli, Wandering Man?

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
"This American air. It always warms my face... I'm a regular Tourist!"

Most people take a bucket and spade. Some people take a walking map. Even less people go on a busman's holiday!

Jarno "I wish my Toyota was the car in front" Trulli has done just that. Or has he??

Recently spotted planning to have a try in a NASCAR, err, car, rumour has erupted about his imminent departure from F1 to the hallowed ground of the American oval.

In an interview with Autosport.com, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79324 he has insisted that he's not interested in racing in NASCAR full-time...

"NASCAR is one of the most significant motorsport series in the world and I was very curious to see the racing first hand.

"At the time I asked the Toyota guys in the US if it would be possible to one day test a car just for fun..."
I think this is the move that Jarno has been looking for. After all, his F1 career is on the wane, his earning/advertising power is ever decreasing and a big buck move to the USA could be the killer move for him. Make way for the young guns in F1, and follow previous luminaries into American racing. :)

'If Juan Pablo Montoya can do it, why not me', thinks Jarno? Plus, a Trulli- train won't be out of place in NASCAR!! LOL

So, what does everyone think? Should Mr Trulli pack his bucket & spade and head for sunny America, or should he stay and place his bets on next years car "bringing in the sheaves"?

I would be surprised if Jarno is in F1 next year.
He's just about approaching the end of his career in F1 so if there's an oppotunity in NASCAR, I say go for it.

Without trying to put NASCAR down, it's got to be easier than F1 which requires super fast reaction times and responses, not to mention extreme fitness.

NASCAR is a bit like WTCC, BTCC, etc. IMO.
It requires skill but there isn't such a fine line between greatness and mediocrity as there is with F1.
That's why you tend to see drivers who are a lot older in those series.

Brogan said:
I would be surprised if Jarno is in F1 next year.
He's just about approaching the end of his career in F1 so if there's an oppotunity in NASCAR, I say go for it.

Without trying to put NASCAR down, it's got to be easier than F1 which requires super fast reaction times and responses, not to mention extreme fitness.

NASCAR is a bit like WTCC, BTCC, etc. IMO.
It requires skill but there isn't such a fine line between greatness and mediocrity as there is with F1.
That's why you tend to see drivers who are a lot older in those series.

That's not strictly true though -

Whilst you have 50 year old Mark Martin leading the Chase (For the last 10 races of the series, the top 12 in points have their points reset and only they can go on and win the championship), there is an age spread not that much older than F1
Current and 3-time champion Jimmie Johnson - 34
Tony Stewart - 38
Kasey Kahne - 29
Denny Hamlin - 28
Jeff Gordon - 38
Kurt Busch - 31
Brian Vickers - 25
Carl Edwards - 30
Ryan Newman - 31
JP Montoya - 34
Greg Biffle - 39

You also have in the field, all of whom are race winners
Kyle Busch - 24
Brad Keselowski - 25
Joey Logano - 19

With regards to the skills involved, there is a massive requirement from the driver to give the right feedback n car behaviour, which is why you can see drivers go from the lead pack to a lap down very quickly (wrong move on tyre pressure, camber etc), but also return from a lap or two down to win (when they get the changes right). Getting the set up right is vital, as is being able to manage your tyres on longer runs. Juan Pablo can tell you that winning in Nascar isn't just a case of right foot down and steer left every few seconds.

What F1 has seen over the last few years is, due in part to the reduction in teams, a higher percentage of drivers under 25. At the start of this year, over half the drivers had 3 years or less in F1. Kimi and Alonso (both 29) were the old hands! I wonder if part of this is also down to the F1 manufacturers getting involved in running feeder teams from the lower formulae?

Getting back on topic, I hope Jarno does get a decent drive, as he still has the speed. You never know if one of the new teams is going to spring a Brawn (or even Wolf)-like surprise.

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear, my fault.

What I meant was that NASCAR is run on ovals, so although skill is required, they don't need the reaction times that are needed to drive an F1 circuit.
We hear Martin Brundle go on every week how the braking points are less than 100 metres and less than a tenth of second can make the difference between braking too soon, nailing it or going wide.

Now no matter how good a driver you are, as you get older your reaction times naturally slow (I speak from experience, I get my arse kicked by 10 year olds on CoD 4 all the time ) so eventually there will come a time where you're just not as quick as the 20 year old guys because you're braking just that little bit earlier which over the course of a lap adds up.
But just because you can no longer cut it in F1, that doesn't rule out other forms of motorsport which have a more level playing field when it comes to age.
Look at Fabrizio Giovanardi in BTCC or Tim Harvey in the Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain for example, both in their 40's, both champions in 2008.

As you say, it's a little off topic so perhaps a discussion for another thread.

Will Jarno have a choice anyway whether he wants to stay in F1?

"You have to look over five years," said Howett.

"I don't wish to be tough but we had a more competitive position leading the start of Spa, and we didn't deliver.

"So I think you have to respect the fact - and I am not trying to knock Jarno, because he is a great person and what he does for the earthquake victims... there are so many strong qualities.

"But still unfortunately as a team this sport is intensely competitive and we have to find the best opportunity to win."

Howett hints at Trulli's departure

I think Mr Howett should take a long, hard look at his stewardship of the Toyota team before laying the blame for their poor performance at the feet of the drivers. He has presided over one of the largets budgets given to an F1 team manager and they have come up with a smattering of podiums.

As much as I think Trulli is a bit of a journeyman I don't think it would be fair to blame him, or Timo Glock, for the indifferent (and sometimes appalling) machinery they have been given to work with. Could other drivers have done better, perhaps but why would a top line driver move to Toyota for a season of mid-field medocrity?

Given the choice between Howett as a Team Principal or Trulli as a driver I'd take Trulli any day of the week.

ah, since he has his own wine jarno's look at life has changed :) still waiting for my first bottle of true trulli! i have hopes.

I'm sure Mike will look after him. Mind you, I don't exactly rate him either, as he slowly makes his way down the pit lane in the wrong direction.

Back
Top Bottom