Hunt's Hesketh for Sale

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
According to pitpass, the car that carried Hunt to his first F1 victory will be sold in May.
To me, the Hesketh 308 represents what made that era great, IMHO: since the Cosworth/Hewland combination ensured that you could have a competitive power train, privateers could build their own chassis and still have a chance against the established teams.

That is how the Williams, McLaren and Tyrrell teams came to be!

How I miss those F1 days!!

To me, the Hesketh 308 represents what made that era great, IMHO: since the Cosworth/Hewland combination ensured that you could have a competitive power train, privateers could build their own chassis and still have a chance against the established teams.

That is how the Williams, McLaren and Tyrrell teams came to be!

But Williams and Hesketh never started out with their own chassis though, did they.

Neither did Tyrrell. He ran Matra-Cosworth cars for two years, then started 1970 with Stewart in a March 701.

McLaren went the other route--built his own chassis, then put a pig of a de-stroked Ford Indy engine in it, followed by a pig of a BRM. It wasn't until the general release of the Cosworth, in 1968, that the McLaren's became really competitive.

James_Hunt_with_Hesketh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom