Horner on Hamilton to RB

As others have said- a non-story. We all know that there are rumours- and that Horner is going to deny them until he does/does not sign Hamilton. The story would have been centred better if they'd been more focussed on the 'world class' driver that Horner was talking about. Here lies a clear 1-2 driver policy- which is completely understandable given Webber's awfulness this year. At the same time, as other have mentioned more vociferously, it throws light on the equality within the team in 2010. Were they really as fair as they claim?

Webber hasn't done himself any favours this year by not being right on Vettel's tail at every Grand Prix.

Hamilton is a 'world class driver' but, based on what pundits say. there are only 3 or 4 of them and every Top team wants at least one. So If McLaren are a 'world class team' then they will want to have one as well supposedly...and, so, they will (supposedly) be keen to re-sign Hamilton.

Ferrari (who have their's signed up long term) will always want one as will Mercedes GP. There aren't that many 'world class drivers' to go around these days, especially with Kubica not on the grid.

What is strange to me is that a couple of months ago Horner had no problem saying the Vettel-Hamilton combination would work. Now all of a sudden he's spouting crap about "world class drivers" and if I were Mark Webber I would be a bit miffed, but then again I agree with Horner in the fact that Webber isn't world class.

Like we've said, the journalists need something to talk about whilst the football season isn't on.

I wonder what journos have hacked into certain phones to gain this info should it be true :whistle:

An absolute nothing article. Whether Lewis Hamilton drives a Red Bull or not will be absolutely nothing to do with what Christian Horner does or does not want in the team.

Money and Publicity are the name of the game for a team owned by a company who's number 1 aim is nothing to do with Formula 1 but all to do with promoting their brand.
This is spot on. another story to help sell some more newspapers and keep some of the emphasis on F1. If the powers that be at Red Bull want Lewis, then they will get him. (eventually, if Lewis wants to) Red Bull make their name in all extreme sports, and having the most exciting driver on the grid in F1 in their team must be appealing to them, especially for the PR guys.
Personally, I think nothing is going to happen, definitely for next year and probably beyond. McLaren aren't idiots, they'll have a winning car again soon, and I'm sure Lewis has a strong loyalty to them, that I think will only be really tested if McLaren don't produce a car capable of winning a WDC in the next 3 years or so. But you never know, Mclaren may have a winning car now, after the reg changes. It seems to me that even RB aren't quite sure how badly they will be affected, unless they are keeping their cards close!

Hamilton has an out in his contract if they don't win the WDC or WCC this year.

So there is at least the option of moving to Red Bull, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

Hamilton has an out in his contract if they don't win the WDC or WCC this year.

So there is at least the option of moving to Red Bull, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

I'm sure he will invoke the clause, if he wants - but he has to impress future employers now. We all know what he can do, however, he isn't helping his own situation at the moment.

Its Hamilton thats making noises that he is still open to other options and off course speaking to Horner in Canada is a mere coincident but then Alonso was openly speaking to other teams when his Renault and Mclaren futures were uncertain in full gaze of everyone

Red Bull don't want to deny an opportunity should Hamilton make himself available despite his view he sees Red Bull as a " soft drinks company"

Its all part of PR in the silly season and attracting attention..although I do think Horner is a bit of a dunce in handling these situations like the front wing row and the Turkey incident last year

I still think Helmut Marko has much more influence at Red Bull in terms of drivers policy then being lead on despite saying a few months back he would welcome Hamilton in the team but Vettel is his golden boy in the same way Alonso was to Flavio. Webber really has to start winning races to give himself a chance of retaining his seat or retire.

As for the tag world class drivers it may sound insulting to Webber but I think its true . He may have had bad luck this year but Canada was a perfect example when he was the first to change tyres and he kept slipping off overtaking Schumacher compared to Button who got past in one guy and chased Vettel down like a greyhound....these are fine margins but it separates the very good from world class

Webbers only other option is Ferrari given his relations with Alonso being managed by Flavio

Hamilton is the one really unease with himself right now and can't accept Vettel taking all the spoils at the moment which he thinks he should deserve..there is nothing wrong with that...Senna was very much the same when he spent too long fighting superior Williams in his Mclaren in the early 90's and would do anything to join the team even offer himself for free!

I do think since being managed by Simon Fuller this attitude of his at the moment is not helping himself and make him look like a bad loser. At the moment Mclaren are not helping matters with their constant inability to get close and seems to have dropped back but you write them off at your peril

Do you though?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.
Mclaren haven't fallen away like Williams have and really they should have won more championship were it not for Schumacher and Ferrari and some strange decisions by Ron Dennis in the last decade plus MErcedes wanting more involvement

2003 - Raikkonen spent the whole season in a year old Mclaren because Ron did not want to race the new car over reliability concerns despite it being super quick

2007 - the title was Mclarens until a strange decision in China to keep Hamilton out heaped more pressure on them in the last race

2009- you can blame overworking 2008 for this but they did come back strong second half of the season despite misgivings about KERS

2010 - the tide of the championship really turned when Hamilton crashed at in Monza on lap 1 when it was not necessary for him to take Massa in an unnessary move plus a few gifts to Alonso in BRazil and Korea made the difference

2010 - the tide of the championship really turned when Hamilton crashed at in Monza on lap 1 when it was not necessary for him to take Massa in an unnessary move plus a few gifts to Alonso in BRazil and Korea made the difference

The 2011 tide probably turned the same way when Hamilton crashed into Button in Canada. Vettel took 18 points. Hamilton 0 and fell to 4th in the standings.

One sincerely hopes Hamilton will try to pick apart Maldonado (his Monaco victim), Kobayashi, Di Resta and Rosberg with a bit more thought tomorrow before setting his sights on Button and Massa and Alonso (his Canada, Monaco and Malaysian tango dance partners respectively). It could be a long race and he should try to not end it before one-quarter distance. ;)

I see Hamilton being signed by RBR only if they lose Vettel in a mega money deal to Ferrari or Mercedes...and I see Hamilton going there only in that scenario coupled with Newey giving guarantees in terms of continuing on at RBR.

2007 - the title was Mclarens until a strange decision in China to keep Hamilton out heaped more pressure on them in the last race.

Always found this a strange one, am I right in saying had he placed well he'd of won the championship there & then. He was instead left to stay out on tyres were they had worn down to the canvas and you could see the white canvas as Lewis beached the car on the lead into the pits....

I hope Lewis Hamilton listens to the radio conversation that was issued to Mark Webber on the last lap of the race to NOT PASS Vettel..thats Webber out of the team and consigned to No 2 driver now ... if he was livid last year about NO 2 driver treatment I hope he lets rip

Christian Horner is a dunce and that just proved it

Christian Horner is a dunce and that just proved it

I try to refrain from taking issue with comments such as this but such palpable nonsense needs responding to. By NO stretch of the imagination can Christian Horner be considered a "dunce". He is the team principal of a massively successful racing team and is doing what is best for the team, the brand, and the driver most likely to win the drivers championship.

You may not like the man Il Leone but please avoid the use of such unnecessary invective.

Maybe RB are deliberately making Mark feel out of place so they can terminate his contract by mutal consent. Mind you, that would be the conspiracist in me that says that...

Back
Top Bottom