Historic racing

Andyoak

Champion Elect
Yes! I remember not so long ago (two, maybe three years I think) there was a historic sports car race as a support to the British Grand Prix (why is it no more?). There were loads of cars on the track at the same time from different classes and even various eras; almost every car sounded different, and it was fantastic.
If only the wife hadn't spent all my money...
How much is it for historic racing these days?
I've a 6 year old girl who loves her cars...:)

If only the wife hadn't spent all my money...
How much is it for historic racing these days?
I've a 6 year old girl who loves her cars...:)

The Brands Hatch Historic meeting is on the bank holiday weekend at the end of May I think (at least, it usually is).

Edit: It is, here's the timetable: http://www.themastersseries.com/event-information.html

Mixture of 1970s F1 and sportscars, a few older classes, and Group C sportscars from the 1980s.

That I hope to get too.For me it means a flight to England.Fortunately my son lives at Crockenhill just stones throw from Brands but as yet I have not booked flights.
That is worth the cost of the flights.

They used to run with the world touring cars at Brands. Fantastic standing inside druids with GT40s and AC Cobras sliding round at 45 degrees blipping their 7L throttle peddles. I remember one year, maybe 06 i think when it chucked it down with rain and the old guys just got even more crazy :) Great stuff.

Brands would be great, if only because I used to love watching the F1 on the telly from there, but its a hell of a slog from Herefordshire.

I'll have to look at Castle Combe, Pembrey or Thruxton at a push.

No problem getting Charley in a tent and watching the cars race by but that 4 1/2 hour drive down to Kent would kill me with her in the back...

Would only take you a couple of hours to get to Silverstone - just a thought :)

I have to confess my ignorance here- where is "Porto?"
I also had no idea that Oulton Park was still in existence. Is Crystal Palace still around too?

I have to confess my ignorance here- where is "Porto?"
I also had no idea that Oulton Park was still in existence. Is Crystal Palace still around too?

"Porto" is the Boavista street circuit in Porto, Portugal. It held races in the 1950s, including the Portuguese GP, and was revived a few years ago for the World Touring Car Championship.

Oulton is going strong under the auspices of Dr. Jonathan Palmer. Unfortunately Crystal Palace circuit is long lost, no way to bring it forward with the times, really.

Parts of the Crystal Palace Race track tarmac still remains (at least it was there in 1996), although you wouldn't necessarily notice when walking through the park. I found out by accident on beautiful sunny day when I stopped to talk to someone on the main footpath. As we were talking, looking over his shoulder at the path beyond, I thought "what a great corner that is for a race track". It then occured to me that perhaps it was and, having looked at a map of the old circuit, when I was next there I took another look.

It was quite a spooky experience because on that occasion it was early Autumn, a little foggy and the evening rush hour was in full flood. These said conditions created an atmosphere in which the imagination didn't have to work hard to see (and hear) ghostly apparitions of 1960's open wheelers four wheel drifting through that lovely corner. Brought back memories of a race meeting at Goodwood in the 60's when I was nought but a sprout.:)

Just thought I'd share that with you. Don't know why really. But I did.:unsure:

There are so many options for historic motorsport in the UK these days that it is amazing, you folks are so lucky. I've been to the Silverstone Classic (nee Coys Festival) quite a few times and loved it. I understand from friends who have been recently that it is only getting better. The SeeRed meetings at Donington are also pretty good, although I've found in the past that Donington's marshals are a bit more 'jobsworth' in their approach to spectators creeping into the pit lane to get a good photo or two.* Pretty much every other circuit has something going on, although I hear on the grapevine that Brands and Oulton are the other two great club meetings. Of course, it goes almost without saying that the Goodwood Revival should be well up the list for anyone planning a trip to a historic meeting, although you'll not save much money over the cost of one day at the GP (gone are the days of 30 quid Revival tickets...). Anyways, I shall make do with the Historic GP folk showing up in Montreal next week, and possibly plan on getting up to Tremblant for the rather mediocre meeting that happens there every year, and I shall fume jealously for all you UK-based folk and your plethora of options!

*One year, rather cheekily, I decided in a quiet moment at Silverstone just to stroll across to the pit wall and see what I could see from there. Fortunately for me it was qualifying for the WSCC-class race. I didn't actually take any photos in the end, I just stood dumbstruck as Porsche 917s, Chevron B12s, Lola Mk3s of every hue, a Ferrari 512M and 312PB, and a McLaren M1A and M8A thundered past inches from my nose. After about 5 minutes a guy in official looking gear came over and told me that "You can't stand here son, sorry.." My heart sank. "Just shuffle a couple of metres down so I can hang this pit board out" he continued... sweet!

Back
Top Bottom