What do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gethinceri

Lance Stroll Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan.
Contributor
Yep that's right, Simon Fuller.
Who? The bloke who started Pop Idol.
What? Yes, the bloke who started Pop Idol.

He also manages (or managed) other sporting greats like David Beckham, Victoria Beckham, Emma Bunton, Will Young, Annie Lennox & Andy Murray (who?).

So, is this a move for Hamilton the brand or Hamilton the driver, I figure the former, but what do you think?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89913

There will be Hamilton aftershave in the stores by easter! I'm not sure if he will start his pop career straightaway but I could see him at this years Glastonbury doing a duet with Beyonce.
One of the biggest Hamilton products could be diamond earrings. Maybe his brand could become big enough to sponsor an F1 team? Hamilton Racing Team?

Good grief!

Definitely the former. He obviously believes he has no need of a 'career/racing' manager.
Agreed.With McLaren he has no need of "racing manager".Definitely to promote his brand.
Vettel does not have manager either.He seems to manage OK without one.

To be fair, the first thing Lewis mentioned in giving his reasons for going with XIX was his driving...

XIX Entertainment not only wanted to help me become an even better racing driver, but they also shared my ambitions for the longer term.

Oh, and Fuller is buddies with the Ronster. So presumably he comes with the full blessings of the McLaren machine.

Not good news for Hamilton the racer, unless of course he has chosen to have nothing at all to do with promoting his personality and is now free to focus all his energy on driving... :nah:

Of course its for the brand, and I object to such "people" as Fuller making money at all.

Frankly, this is irrelevant to F1 for me, and I don't feel that there is any need for this to detain my attention any longer.

What a bunch of cynics.

From Wikipaedia:
Willi Weber made himself a name in the motorsport world for discovering and promoting talents like the Schumacher brothers and for being a shrewd negotiator.

Top models like Claudia Schiffer and Naomi Campbell have also been represented by Weber’s management firm.

Besides taking care of his clients' contractual issues he also proved to be quite a talent in finding ways to make money for his clients with creative merchandising deals.

Willi Weber has since been responsible, thanks to his shrewd negotiation skills, for Michael Schumacher turning into one of the highest earning sport stars ever. And, given his 15% commission for every deal he finalised for his clients, made him an even wealthier man.

So what's the difference in what Weber does for his clients and what Fuller does for his?
Have I heard anyone criticise Michael and Ralf Schumacher's or Nico Hulkenberg's choice of manager in such scathing tones?

No, didn't think so.

Personally speaking I'm not interested in anything to do with that so Simon Fuller, Simon Cowell, Willi Weber and Max Clifford are all the same to me.

I despise the celebrity culture.

Best of luck to him. A racing driver has 10, maybe 15 years in the sport if they're lucky. Alright, Hamilton will be VERY well paid by McLaren but why not, like every other sportsman & woman, take advantage of the personality cult PR people build up these days to maximise his earnings outside of the team.

Ask yourself honestly, if you were in the same position what would you do? I for one though won't be buying Lewis aftershave, not unless is makes me smell of Castrol R!

Personally speaking I'm not interested in anything to do with that so Simon Fuller, Simon Cowell, Willi Weber and Max Clifford are all the same to me.
I despise the celebrity culture.

So do I. I was disgusted to hear Kelvin Mackenzie and Max Clifford in the ITV 'When Playboys ruled The World' documentary, bemoaning the erosion of trust between sports stars and the media since the days of Sheene and Hunt - the very erosion that they themselves helped to bring about.

But let's not pretend that some drivers have more 'legitimate' personal managers than others; they are all in it to promote the brand and make money for their clients and themselves.

And Fuller does already represent other sports stars. Whatever you say about David Beckham's 'celebrity', he has been a fantastic and dedicated sportsman over the years; and The OP may claim not know who Andy Murray, the world No. 5 tennis player, is but plenty of others do.

The OP knows very well who Andy Murray is, a poor attempt at irony perhaps. It was a list bookended by sportsmen with singers (?) in between.
I will attempt to be less enigmatic in future.;)

Oh, I'm not blaming anyone who does this, they're just maximising their revenue earning potential.
Hell, I'd do the same.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though :D

The OP knows very well who Andy Murray is, a poor attempt at irony perhaps. It was a list bookended by sportsmen with singers (?) in between.
I will attempt to be less enigmatic in future.;)
I thought as much, which is why I said 'claim not to know'.
Don't let me put you off being enigmatic though, I'm all for a bit of enigma. ;)

In honesty, I've slowly been going off LH as a character in the last few years and decisions such as this, although frankly nothing to do with me, just compound my ever decreasing opinion of him as an individual (not as a racer).

I've bored very quickly over the "cult of celebrity" that literally pervades everything we see and hear in this country and I agree with Brogan - I can't stand having it relentlessly shoved down my throat

Lewis Hamilton aftershave and earrings are no doubt on their way soon, as someone else noted... I think I just sicked in my mouth a bit...:sick:

Mario Andretti was on TV here in the US last night advertising an exhaust system for your car which makes other road users think the world is about to come to an end. Wonder why modern drivers aren't used to promote things related to driving?

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/05mario.asp

Michael Schumacher would be good for proximity detectors and collision avoidance systems. The HRT boys could be out promoting Reliant cars. Sebby V could make finger shaped plugs for holes in radiators and sumps :snigger:

The celebrity culture does not exist in my house, nor my dictionary. Makes me sick, and a little bit sad, to see people idolise their equals :sick:

Relevance/no relevance, believe/don't believe, these words are more important than ever:

God said:
You shall not make for yourself an idol

Sorry guys, someone beat Lewis to it:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/10742635/Original_Perfumes_Schumacher_Brand/showimage.html

and

relogio.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RLMtUD6l1_A/TO8GyXc8lTI/AAAAAAAABH8/F3WnvYLze0U/s1600/relogio.jpg

Back
Top Bottom